Subject Author Posted Replies

Venus Fly Trap
hi i bought a venus fly trap ready for spring. it is sitting on my windowsill on the south side with plenty of water and fagnum peat soil, but lately it seems to be really small; because these plants...
2
2

Nasturtiums - starting indoors
May have started them toooo early indoors in 3" pots and in compost that is toooo rich. They are now 4 inches tall! Any suggestions? Can they be clipped back? Should I repot in plain soil? I gather if...

help with seed starting mix
I decided to try starting a few tomato plants from seed for the first time, but I'm having trouble. I'm using large peat pots and I'm filling them with jiffy seed starting mix. How do you get this...
10
10

I found an old friend/member of our gardening neighborhood!!!!
Just to let some out there who lurk and don't come from behind the bushes very often.......I have found an old friend and former member of our gardening neighborhood...........Zhanataya!!!! She is...
1
1

Canna lilies
We live in Zone 5. Last Fall we dug up our canna lilies bulbs, and stored them for the winter. Usually we plant them again as soon as the soil warms, late April beginning of May. My question : can we...
3
3

Frogs arrived........
I was walking around the pond looking for a few hyacinths to cut for the house - and saw frogs! The frogs are back. Bad news for bugs slugs and insects. :-)
7
7

Overseeding with Bermuda?
Can I successfully overseed a centipede lawn with Bermuda? We have centipede and I would like to get rid of it and have bermuda grass. OR, what would kill off the centipede and not harm the bermuda?
5
5

Cutting back a budded tree
Hello, I need some help from someone! We got a tree, planted three years ago, and it's just started to bud, but it needs to be cut back. If I cut it back will it get ruined? Apologies for my lack of...
10
10

What to use for soil
I live in an area where if not inhabitated would be desert. Our "soil" is sand. I have a small spot I want to do some planting in and am going to dig that area out. I want to fill it back up with...
9
9

Another roto-tiller question (wheel usage)
Hi, this should be my last roto-tiller question for the time being. :) My front tine roto-tiller has wheels (behind the front tines), and it also has a hinged stake thingy behind the wheels. The...
13
13

Spikey Thorny Climber Sought !
I'm searching for a tough, hardy, evergreen climber to protect from burglars an exposed easily climbed front wall in the UK. Ideally with huge spikes, local garden centres only have 'firethorn' with...
8
8

Ornamental grasses add tranquility to human habitat
A human habitat is a haven you create in your landscape where you can relax, recharge your emotional batteries and feel as one with nature. In the previous column, I pointed out that habitats aren=92t...

Taboo Rose
I had a real deep red Rose in my garden a few years ago named "Taboo" and need to buy a new one as mine died out. I cannot find that Rose in any of the online nurseries. Any suggestions as to who...
7
7

Spring tentatively approaching the foothills and PEEPERS!!!!
Over the last few days with the unusual warming trend we've had here in upper Eastern Tennessee, I've noticed quite an active indication that we're moving deffinately towards true Spring. The creeking...
3
3

Goodbye Farmers Markets, CSAs, and Roadside Stands
Can you say grow yer own? This bodes ill for everyone, and comes at an interesting time, eh? Honest folk on the bottom are being squeezed and penalized for the sins of the turds floating on top. Try...
7
7