Subject Author Posted Replies

Vegetable plant prices
Not sure what is going on here. I am looking to buy about 10-15 tomato plants, like I have for many years. I've been to WalMart, KMart and Home Depot. The only tomato plants I found were $5.29 each...
8
8

50 year old Camellia and Azalea dropping blossoms
I live in Van Nuys, Southern California, zip 91402. Both my 50 year old Camellia and an approximately 35 year old Azalea just produced a beautiful set of blossoms this spring. The camellia began...
1
1

Seedsaving...Correcting brooklyn1/sheldon
To all those who are new to gardening, lurking, or don't realize, one doesn't need to purchase new seed every season, unless you are partial to hybridized seedstock.....contrary to what brooklyn1, the...
47
47

How NOT to plant a hosta....
Greeting all..... Picked up a package of Elegans Hostas ( thanks to Bill's recommendations for giant hostas). Picked a nice place in the yard.... the first two hostas went in nice and neat. Dug the...
6
6

Garden design software?
We are sorting out our garden. Does anybody know of any software whereby I could use a picture of our empty flowerbed and be able to place pictures of flowers from a database? We could then place and...
6
6

Rotavator Problems
Hi all, this is my first post as a newbie hope its the right section..Just bought a merry tiller rotavator 20+ years old but all in good nick, trouble is it starts first pull every time but when you...
1
1

Sowing zinnias & sunflowers in large patches
Is there such a thing to sow zinnia and sunflower seeds in large areas directly into the ground? My guess is that it would have to be two different devices because of the large size difference between...
15
15

Have I Killed My Friends Petrol Mower?
Hi, hoping someone can help me to establish whether I really have knackered my girlfriends expensive lawnmower !! its a Briggs & Stratton Sprint 40, which I'm fairly sure is 4 stroke There's all sorts...
4
4

strange rubbery tentacled root/toy found while weeding garden
Hello, Hoping someone can help me identify a very strange root (or parasite) that we dug up whilst weeding the garden today. I could not figure out how to put the pics into this thread, so I posted...
1
1

Grass walkways through garden?
I would welcome comments from some of you more experirenced gardners. My garden consists of about a dozen beds of various sizes (15x5 being common) with grass walkways in between. The walkways are...
8
8

Seed Starter heat pads
I'm looking at heat pads to put under my seed starting trays. I need several (say 4 or 5) and they get quite pricey when you also include a thermostatic control. Do you have any clever ways to provide...
11
11

A Wind Break or not?? He says NO, I say YES!!
Morning Chaps and Happy Easter to you all. There is an open fence, well - not a fence really, thiese propertys are 5 years old and it's the Developers fence. Ya know, about a metre tall, consisting of...
6
6

Not only tastes good rhubarb
We stole rhubarb from the Asia and an Asian child reports rhubarb treats Alzheimer's. VANCOUVER-(Business Wire)-April 9, 2009 - Innovative research by a 17- year-old Surrey BC, Sands Secondary School...

Question - Best way to kill a fox?
What is the best way to kill a fox? He keeps coming into my garden and wreckin my plants. I tried to catch him with a rake but he was too quick for me, is there any traps i can setup?
12
12

working with clay
Hi, I'm trying to get my garden leveled as the builders put lot of clay soil when building the extension few years ago. Currently the soil is bit sticky, moist inside and hard on top which is not that...
6
6