Subject Author Posted Replies

Black Snake habits
Found a black snake hanging out by a concrete downspout run off block. snake was probably about 30" long with about a 1/2 inch head. Definitely a baby as they'll grow up to 6 - 8 feet around here. He...
5
5

Purely newbie question
Upon just a little walking around while tilling, I can see that foot traffic packs down the soil. Is it good to have designated walkways, or pavers or stepping stones or the like to avoid packing soil...
6
6

The Great Roundup/Mulch Debate .... Part Deux
When looking in my shed this afternoon, I discovered about two miles of six feet wide heavy weed barrier cloth, purchased by my wife some time ago for a dozen gladioli that she never planted. My idea...

What to do with a tree stump
We have a very large old tree (2.5 foot diameter) that is dying. It is in the middle of a 10 foot diameter flower bed with flowering bulbs close to the tree and annuals planted around the outside...
4
4

Garden help ... complete novice!
Hi there, We moved into our first house last year and I have just got around to looking at the garden. It is not terribly big but it needs some work and I need some advice! I think I will try and...
2
2

Rose Bushes ?
I am not much of a gardner at all, but at our remote mountain cabin, I have had success with annuals, Rhododendrums, impatiens, marigolds, and the like. I have never tried to grow roses, because I...
26
26

Branch cutting question
A large branch on my big old apple tree died, and looks like this: year it dropped all leaves and fruit towards the end of summer, and this year there is no growth on it at all. Question: Should I...
3
3

Peach tree woes
Please look at these pics. This is a peach tree I planted 3 years ago. Last year it had a touch of what appeared to be leaf curl, and the damage was minimal. This year, the tree appears to be all but...
14
14

Patio tomatoes - newbie
Tomato problems. Below is a photo of patio tomatoes. There are holes in them that I don't believe are from birds since the edges are smooth. I can't find an insects on the plant. I am new to this...
1
1

Yard Work As Viewed From Heaven....
Hey Group, I thought this was a very funny and short story that illustrates many people that I know, including myself. Read this 2 minute article and see how really funny, or sad, it really is. What...
1
1

$1.99 roses
I bought 5 of 'em. They looked so pitiful, I couldn't just leave them there to die. Grade 1 1/2, bare roots wrapped in plastic bags, and they've been laying on the shelf sideways in the store for way...

Roundup questions
My garden is weedy. I'm tilling it and preparing it to plant. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I waited a long time, I know. I have what seems to be Bermuda grass or a variant. Stuff that has a spreading root...
64
64

World's Largest Hanging Basket...
Hey Group, It's amazing to see what business's do to attract clientele. Idea: Let's make a hanging basket so large that it takes 8 hours to hang! You can see pictures of this Crazy Hanging Basket......
1
1

Heirloom Vegetable 2 page PDF
Aimed for Florida folks but useful for other locations too. Bill Or
6
6

What is the best mower for a homeowner??
A self propelled, mulching/bagging/throwing clippings. I have a seven year old Toro, it's OK, but it doesn't handle thick grass too well. The underside of the deck cakes very easily. Any...
12
12