Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Descartes letter found
Another 10.23 inches of snow but whose measuring. Bill
1
1

Growing Tobacco
As the price of tobacco products shoot sky high it seems more people are taking an interest in growing their own. I'm considering a dozen or two plants this spring myself. It seems to be very easy to...
18
18

interesting horticultural connections with a CSI episode
Howdy, Maddie here. So I was watching a Monday night CSI (not usual, I don't always watch "glasses on, glasses off" but rather do the New York CSI and the LV) and it started rather normally. Young man...
1
1

Who Would Be an Opposite of a monsanto Shill or Apologist?
Joel Salatin. Some of ya are familiar with this man and his work. His attitude towards farming also works small scale, as in gardening. should at least be asking, Is there a righteous way to farm and...
7
7

Spring Is Here
I already guessed that winter was over when I saw 'Soleil d'Or', 'February Gold', and 'Peeping Tom' narcissus blooming in my garden. Today, I confirmed it when I saw the first crocus.
7
7

Melting snow
Will the melting 2 feet of snow we have be beneficial to my gardens? My husband says "no, most of it evaporates". Is he correct? I was hoping for an extra lush spring as payback for the horrible...
4
4

Rain Gauge In Garden
I think a decent rain gauge would be a very useful gardening tool. I plan to put one right where my irrigation system (soaker hoses) begin. With the rain gauge, I can keep a log of the rain we get...
17
17

A few loonies me thinks
30
30

ground cover versus Roundup
Are there any ground covers that are compatible with (not killed by) Roundup? We have some bare areas, (idiot) gardner has always just sprayed Roundup there. I didn't even realize that's what he was...
21
21

OT Petrified hessian (burlap)
When I was a child, many decades ago, there were still a few structures around on various farms that dated from the time of the Depression and that were largely built out of a substance called...
4
4

fresher
I just joined this newsgroup and trying to get an idea. This is a great way to discuss about gardening.
4
4

Snow yet a promise
Birds are frantic guess they do not know the roads are reusable. My reliance on the grid makes me worry A simple thermocouple and the gas fireplace fails. The wood stove I gave away now a regret....
1
1

Using Soaker Hose Irrigation
I'm going to give soaker hoses a try this year in my 4 1/2' X 50' vegetable bed. Having never used them before, I do have a few questions. I will be planting 3 rows of vegetables the full length of...
8
8

weed control
OK I have gotten a lot of responses, and no I am not trying to kill the planet--I just want to grow some veggies! I live in Missouri, and have a lot of crab grass, thistle, and poison ivy, etc. The...
21
21

Simple things that make gardening easier/fun
Wonder if you folks found something that resonates with the subject. I had trouble for many years ( Don't ask ) with wheelbarrow tires going flat due to cold weather. I finally found this. And now I...
30
30