Subject Author Posted Replies

Celery seed germination [was: Rain]
Interested in stats on celery seed germination in So. Calif coastal. The seed came from a reliable source. Nothing so far, after at least 3 weeks. Any input out there, specific to the region? TIA HB

juniper dying; pine mulch?
Hi, I had three big pine trees cut down and the stumps chipped and mulched. Several small blue rug junipers were planted in that area [with some new black mulch on top of the pine chip/dirt mix] and...
2
2

Where to buy bulk epson salt?
I don't know about leaves curling, I thought magnesium deficiency cause leaf yellowing especially in older leaves. Can you provide a photo? A few pounds per tree seems quite excessive to me, this is a...
16
16

Rain
First rain of the season, a pretty healthy one. Unusually early for So. Calif. coastal, where "rainy season" usually runs from Nov to March + or -. But whole year has been anomalous. Global warming....
6
6

Fast growing trees / plants
I'm looking to plant some trees or plants in my garden that grow quickly and have the potential to grow tall (3 meters +). Any suggestions? I plan to buy some that are perhaps already 1 meter tall....
12
12

Some Spring for you
This is for all those northern hemisphere people who are getting grumpy because the frost is coming (or arrived already) and their tomatoes are still green. It is for those not looking forward to...
11
11

yew hedge- autumn/winter care?
Can people tell me how to look after/care for my yew hege it is 3 yrs old now and looking a bit negleted- some are really great others are a bit sorry looking.
1
1

Help to identify plant needed
Can someone please help me identify this plant, which is growing in a friends garden in the Vienne region of France, many thanks +-------------------------------------------------------------------+...
4
4

Vermiculite
Hi I have a very large bag of vermiculite which i no longer require if any one in the bristol area wants it and can collect its there's for £10, Cher...
2
2

Cambridge Favourite
Hi again, I am having a second crop of my strawberries (Cambridge Favourite). The fruit is quite large and healthy looking, but when I press the fruit it feels a bit squashy, and doesn't have much of...
4
4

how to take tamarisk cutting
hallo, there are many tamarisks in the area so i think they must like the conditions. i would like to take a cutting of one. questions - a soft-wood or hardwood cutting? - which time of year to do it...
1
1

Has anyone heard of this brand of Gardening Glove?
Hi, Has anyone heard of Easy Off Gloves? I just ordered some of their retracting finger tip gardening gloves off Amazon and was wondering if anyone has tried them? They look quite good for the garden...
2
2

Books for dummies
Are there any books of people proof plants, mainly flowers and vines? Like lantana or vincas? I live in Zone 6 (I believe, depends on the book I'm reading). 3700' elevation, 37 deg. N lat. 110+...

Tiny yellow spots on leaves: pests or disease?
All leaves of my primroses, some roses and catmint this summer got covered with tiny yellow spots (see attached). Rhododendron, Azalea and Begonia are intact. I thought it's a whitefly and used Rose...
3
3

Pepper ID
An acquaintance gave me some hot peppers from his garden. Can anyone identify their varieties? think the green one is a jalapeno, but I don't know about the others. The orange one and the little red...
10
10