100 Pounds of Food/Year From a 12 Square Foot Plot?

Hey Kylie,

Don't know if this means much to ya, but Billy is one one of the good guys, as far as we yanks go, likely you already gathered this, though he takes a larger hat size than I, methinks. ;-)

I'll butt out now, just interjecting a good word for my cobber.

Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

well, i thought that - he is being perfectly pleasant! ("ah, you've got me there" generally means "i'm not sure if i can answer your question or not" in my tiny world. with a secondary meaning (not intended in this case) of "you've beaten me, you cad!!"). just in case that was worrying you ;-)

who the hell ever says "cobber" any more??! jesus!!

kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

Oh god, have we screwed that up too? Nutella was originally from France, I think. The German counterpart is Nussnugat. We have already screwed up croissants and turned them into bread crescents.

Hard to beat Bonne Mamam and real Dijon mustard can knock your nose off and bring tears to your eyes. Both are good eats ;-))

McDonads in Germany is better than the stomach wadding that they fob off on us here. Tasted like real meat but then again it was Germany. Classic American taste is no taste at all. Hold over from Puritan times I think. If it tasted good or pleased the flesh, it must be sinful because it distracts from our spiritual mission on Earth, which is to burn and kill the witches and heathen.

Don't even ask about their secret sauces:-(

Thanks for leaving the question, I'd forgotten that I had asked one. Here, in 'Merica, prepared foods usually list their ingredients in order of quantity from greatest to least. Water, and corn syrup are often among the first ingredients.

If you forget to answer it's OK. I'll probably forget again that I asked;-)

g'day

Reply to
Billy

Only because every time you have two houses and a kangaroo together you call it a "city".

Reply to
J. Clarke

You'd be an asshole no matter what country/culture you come from.

Dumbshit.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Remember our discussion about wankers Charlie? He's one.

Reply to
FarmI

Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean that I can't do it.

I went to a very small rural school. I went through 6 years in that school and there were never any blow ins - all long time residents descended from the people who first settled that area 100 years before.

I know that of those kids, 1 had polio, 1 got lead poisoning from lead water pipes, and 1 had an allergy to paspalum and got a rash each summer when the paspalum seeds came onto the plant (she'd dead now sadly). Other than that, the only illnesses were things like Chicken pox, measles and mumps and when they came, we took turns in getting them.

If anyone in our community went to the doctor, it was a topic of conversation as it had to be booked by using a manual exchange and our Post Mistress was the world's biggest blabbermouth. There were no secrets. Even now I could tell you which adults were having sex with other peoples spouses or who which men the women avoided and why. I could still name the one man in the village who was rumoured to be gay and why and how the one person who was left a huge amount of money by his parents over 50 years before I was born lost it all.

People always assume that kids don't take notice, or don't know what is going on, but we did. We still gossip about the past and people now long dead when we get together. For 6 years I sat next to and was good friends with the daughter of the woman who ran our phone exchange so I got all the gossip from her, and if she didn't tell me, her cousin did. For the next 6 years we had to travel together for 3 hours a day to get to high schools so the gossip still continued but our circle of contacts just got bigger.

It was a small closeknit community where all the people came from the one area of Ulster (both Protestant and Catholic) and they cleared and settled the land and then stayed there. Even now as I research in Ulster, I can rattle the names off the top of my head that I knew as I grew up and that I know I willl see in the records of Ulster.

I knew what the diseases were and I still do, just don't ask me what I did yesterday.

I'm sure you don't have any idea how ludicrous that sounds. However, if you are paying such close attention to the lumps and bumps in the clothes of the children in your neigbourhood then I'm certain that you will shortly be arrested.

So you have a good knowledge of the children in my area too? Your fascination with children has gone iternational has it?

I don't own any donkeys. We only ever had horses on this farm.

Speaking of horses, you certainly know how to make yourself sound like a complete horse's arse.

You are sadly transparent and obvious. Your real reason for posting is that you are upset that America and American's are not seen universally as being the great people some of them think they are.

That's fine by me. I don't care if you chose to sound like a pedaphile. I also don't care what you say about Australia or Australians. I don't suffer from cultural cringe and I certainly don't care if you still do.

I'm highly amused too. I find it amusing that you seem to be too obtuse to notice that you sound like a pedophile. I also find it amusing that you obviously don't know about the convict history of America.

I'm also amused at your ignorance of the name for the nation of origin of the convicts.

I'm even amused by the fact that you know nothing about the geographic distribution of the population of my country. However I'm not surprised by it because you've proven repeatedly how ignorant you are in post after post.

Reply to
FarmI

Do try using some facts. The Black Death or Bubonic Plague was not 'due' to, 'germs'. It is an infection which entered the bodies of the victims when they were bitten by fleas. Smallpox is not spread or caused by germs. It is a virus.

Reply to
FarmI

If you think that population density has anythig to do with population distribution then you really need to get an education.

Reply to
FarmI

Yes, but I don't know if that applies to take aways (take outs). It certainly applies to any food items (and every other label of items I've looked at) bought in grocery stores.

Reply to
FarmI

So being bitten by a flea which containes no plague germs gives one plague? And a virus is not a germ? Do tell.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If you think that most of the population of Australia lives in cities you've never seen a city.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yep. Unfortunately, he appears to be one of our wankers. It is no surprise you all have the view towards yanks, generally speaking, that you do.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Wed, Sat and Sun. They are very strict about locally grown produce only, and have gone more toward organic in recent years.

Problem is, areas like Santa Monica that have educated, relatively affluent consumers (all except moi!) have access to plenty of fresh produce, whereas the very areas that desperately NEED fresh produce do not have farmers' markets, and until very recently did not even have a major supermarket chain. The people had to buy at convenience storees that have high prices and low-quality, unhealthful processed foods.

I have racked my brain for years trying to figure out what it would take to get residents of poor and minority areas to get their act together and bring in farmers' markets. Obviously the lack of security is a factor, as is the lack of consumer education. It's easy to argue that these factors can be overcome, but it's not so easy to put oneself in the place of people that have been down so long, they don't know how to organize. Tragically, what inhibits investment, inter alia, is that black and brown are at each other's throats in the deadly gang wars that have paralyzed these areas, killing innocent babies and children just standing on the street or coming home from school.

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

was a wonderful garden in South Central L.A. on unused property. It was the largest community garden in the U.S. and served a low wage community of color. The owner, Ralph Horowitz, sold the property to build an industrial park even though the Annenberg Foundation said that they would match the sale's price. LA Mayor Antonia Villaraigosa said he regretted the outcome and that he had made multiple appeals to the developer to accept the farmers' offer to buy.

In 2003, the city of Los Angeles changed the area's official name from South Central Los Angeles to South Los Angeles, hoping to blur collective memories of violence and blight, because the name "South Central" had become almost synonymous with urban decay and street crime.

It would appear that education, income, or ethnic origin has nothing to do with enjoying good food. The power establishment in LA had a vital, prospering community and they chose to kill it. The Rev. Wright is right.

Reply to
Billy

Potted it in one Charlie with vernacular use of the word.

It is no

Only some Yanks Charlie. Others have a brain, have sufficient education to know the difference between a germ and a virus and are absolutely delightful.

Reply to
FarmI

No a virus is NOT a germ! And fleas carrying disease are also not a germ. Do tell how antibacterial substances can kill a virus which is not a bacteria and how it can kill a flea?

Reply to
FarmI

Stupid, stupid man! I never mentioned that most Australians lived in cities. Learn to read for comprehension.

Reply to
FarmI

oh get over yourself!!!! the u.s. is not the ruination of civilisation everywhere ffs ;-) it doesn't have that much power.

Nutella was originally from France,

see above. nice croissants are available worldwide (3 cheers for the french!). of course it is laughable that americans call them crescents, but then, it doesn't keep me (or the french) up at night.

c'est ça, exactement. i don't have a greenhouse problem with little imported treats from time to time if it's something really GOOD. new zealand does dairy very, very well & it's hard to know what to do sometimes which would be the "right" thing. sigh! it is a curse to be informed, sometimes.

also beware of sex - i have it on good authority that it may lead to DANCING.

yes, that is the standard practice. on a take-away product, though, that doesn't apply for some reason (for one thing, it's hardly practical).

Water, and corn syrup are often

for an equivalent here, that would be water & cane sugar. but at the end of the day, if you're eating loads of sugar or loads of corn syrup, it's probably an equally bad idea, really. however, i choose lovely sugar over creepy aspartame every time :-) kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

what about people who know their food? what do they do? foodies might be a small proportion of the populace, but what are they eating? (imports???) what about the really good restaurants?

we are very lucky where we are: despite being in the country, you can get wonderful food, excellent local bread, etc etc. weird though it might sound, often in country australia the food is awful due to lack of foodies to up the ante. that seems to be changing a lot now, thank heavens, you can get a nice espresso in the most surprising places.

when bill bryson came to write his (only slightly erroneous) book about australia he remarked on how good the food was everywhere he went, which made me speculate that american food must really be woeful if he can get better stuff in a flyspeck town in woop-woop :-)

had a conversation with a lady online at a different group who was still huffy (several years after the event) that some frenchwoman in the u.s. had remarked that food is much better in france. i opined that, on the balance of probability, there was no chance that food was better in the u.s. & the frenchwoman must have been correct & she could get over it now. but her outrage and denial were not to be stopped :-)

she was from california where food is probably better.

it sounds a really bizarre substance.

I would probably take the

you too. i can't watch your videos as my dial-up is far too slow for video. kylie

Reply to
0tterbot