10 10 10 fertilizer smells like ammonia - can I use it?

I have a bag of 10 10 10 fertilizer that's been sitting a while and now it smells like ammonia. Is it still usable?

Thanks

Reply to
brassplyer

the ammonium nitrate has begun to break down. you can use it, but don't expect the same result as you'd be getting from a fresh bag.

Reply to
Jim

Yes. Best to keep dry fertilizers up off the floor and dry. I put excess fertilizer in recycled plastic bottles labeled with a Sharpie. Unlike a bag, the bottles keep the contents dry.

Reply to
Phisherman