zucchini x pumpkin

According to Wikipedia, dome types of pumpkin and zucchini are the same species. supposedly that means they can cross breed (if i remember my biology correctly). has anyone ever grew a hybrid? purposefully or not. just curious what that fruit would look like.

thanks, Simon

Reply to
Simon

Maybe you should try it.

What kind of things do you grow?

Reply to
The Cook

I think I might just try it! let you know in 2 years :)

I try to grow as many different things as possible just for fun . tomatoes, potatoes, asparagus, sun flowers, chives, onions, green onions, egyptian onions, sweet potatoes, garlic chives, garlic, chili peppers, bell peppers, broccoli, Spanish, lettuces, shallots, beats, radishes, broccoli sprouts, corn, string beans, snap peas, snow peas, raspberries, strawberries, mint, oregano, basil, dill, corn, cilantro , winter melon, zucchini, unknown melon that sprouts, parsley, sage, soy beans... then there is my wife's flower garden tulips, wild rose, hydrangea, Hyacinths, daisies, poppies, flowering onions, tiger lily, pineapple lily, glads, Chinese lanterns, bells of ireland, bunch of other stuff i can't remember the names of ..

of course we are not always successful at everything but it is fun to try.

thanks, Sim> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:17:10 -0700 (PDT), Simon

Reply to
Simon

I grew a pumpkin variety called "Tatume" a few years, and I also had some yellow crooknecks. They crossed and I've had volunteers come up every year (this year, only one) Some of them have long vines, some are more bush-like. Last year they were just like yellow crookneck but the vines were twice as long (still short tho'.) The one this year has short vines that branched multiple times and are less succulent than most bush squash -- the borers are leaving them alone. The fruit looks like Early Prolific Straightneck but with a really short neck and a kind of greenish cast to 'em. They taste really good. :-)

Meanwhile, my Green Striped Cushaw pumpkins are trying to take over the whole neighborhood, and they are covered with male flower buds, but no female buds and the males have been there at least a week and are not opening yet. I wonder if pruning the vines would encourage them to branch and to bloom?

Hope this helps, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The Zucchini Pumpkin lives in our office at the moment - it is round and green and is starting to get orange-ish vertical stripes. My boss inadvertently grew a couple this year. We have pictures - unfortunately, it is being used in a food war. but we have pictures! We were actually wondering if there are any recipes! Zumpkin/Pumcchini bread!

Reply to
junqueattic

I would love love to see those pictures. sounds like your office is more fun to work in than mine!

thanks, Simon

Reply to
Simon