zones?

I keep seeing references to zones.
What are they?
I'm in Ireland, for example, what zone would that correspond to? I never see any mention of this in any books I've bought.
Kae
Kae Verens said:

A method of catagorizing the severity of winter weather, in terms of minimum temperature only.

Zone 8 (with some zone 9 on the coasts).
Zone 8 (15 F) (-9 C) Zone 9 (25 F) (-4 C)
You should be able to grow camellias...
See:
http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/eurozoner.html

Looks like Zone 9 (coastal) or 8 (Interior) Try this link: http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ukgard/msg061146163246.html

see any mention of this in any books I've bought.

b&k wrote:

looks like (from all the maps referred to) I'm middling on 8/9. I'll assume 8, as where I am (Monaghan) is definitely warmer than where I used to live (Dublin).
thanks guys
Kae
Or try this: http://www.gardenweb.com/zones/europe/hze1.html .
- Poor me in Zone 5

see any mention of this in any books I've bought.

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:25:36 +0000, Kae Verens

The USDA (US Min of Ag) has developed a map of "plant hardiness" zones based on average minimum temperature range. Sometimes these are also associated with first and last frost dates. It's used as a rough (very) guide to what sort of plants will successfully survive winter temperatures in a given area. There are more detailed maps taking micro-climate conditions into account published by a company that used to specialize in western (US) gardens, but has now ventured into other areas. These are the "Sunset (magazine) zones."
USDA zones run from 1 (-50F) for Fairbanks, Alaska to 11 (greater than 40F) for Honolulu, Hawaii. They hedge their bets a bit with a-b sub-designations. I.e., the SE corner of Virginia is either 7b or 8a (minimums between 5 and 15F.