Yellow Submarine Cucumber

Burpee has a cucumber called "Yellow Submarine".

anyone grown this cucumber? If you did, how well did it produce

and how good did it taste? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

It is a large pickling cucumber from Seminis,. Sold by a lot of seed companies. Here is Seminis description :"A 2001 introduction from Seminis. Open pollinated. According to Seminis " Born in the jungle, raised in Europe and now residing in the U. S., new Yellow Submarine cucumber is as novel as anything to come along since the development of parthenocarpic cucumbers. Say what? Seedless cucumbers. Perhaps the best way to explain this is that it is a Riessenschal type. Huh? Okay, let's just say it's an improvement over Carnito. Good, now you've got it.

Seriously, while all of the above is true, what you really need to know is that this is what makes gardeners garden. This is different. Real different. The innovation's all there in Yellow Submarine.

Fruit color begins as light green, then turns to light yellow as the fruits gain both length and diameter. They can be used fresh as a salad cucumber, but this is actually a pickling type. You've seen, and most likely eaten, those big yellowish sandwich stacker pickles, right? One slice covers a medium sized hamburger. Well, this is it. This is the variety they make those giant pickle slices from. And are they delicious!

Plants of Yellow Submarine are quite sturdy and vigorous with good tolerance against Cucumber Mosaic Virus, Scab and Powdery Mildew. They develop large, harvestable fruits in about 58-60 days. The fruits grow to lengths of up to eight inches and three inches across while maintaining a very small seed cavity. They make wonderful sliced crunchy pickles in these large sizes, the perfect thing to stack on sandwiches to give them some extra zip, especially on submarine sandwiches and burgers. Add some garlic and hot red peppers to your pickling brine, and you'll be in hog heaven with every sandwich bite you take."

Daniel Pr> Burpee has a cucumber called "Yellow Submarine".

Reply to
farmerdill

I *LOVE* those big sandwich stacker pickles. I think they are the best pickles I have ever eaten but lately the only sandwich stacker pickles I have been able to find are ones made out of smaller cucumbers that are sliced lengthwise. I do not think they are quite as good as the big round ones.

What is the best size for using in a salad?

This sounds just about perfect for me because I almost always have problems with powdery mildew. I will definitely grow some next year.

Reply to
Daniel Prince