Worth discussing Gunner's PDF from Linda Chalker-Scott

I for one was brought up with the idea that burning bones was a good addition to the garden soil. This evolved into a Tablespoon per bulb bone meal with a dash of dried blood. The garden myths section is a good read. Good for newbies and good for us set in our ways. Wonder why or how to do garden tasks is laid out in an organized manner. I'd love to see the same organization concerning traditional ways. I read the PDF lightly as old dogs have a hard time changing and I'm not sure she addresses issues I value like wood chips which I work in my way. Myths btw are the way people hand down information of value according to Joseph Campbell.

Reply to
Bill who putters

And song. Don't forget the troubadours, e.g. The Song of Roland.

====

Reply to
Billy Rose

I looked at the bone meal item in the myths section. Yet again as we've seen in recent cites, there is no mention that what is being said cannot be universally applied. Not one caveat so it must be a universal truth. Not!

She mentions Proteas being sensitive to too much phosphorus and that they ahve evolved that way but doesn't make the leap from that to link Proteas with country of origin (and others in that family in other countrys where that family of plants grow) and that those countries are deficient in Phosphorus.

Good for newbies and good

I didn't bother once I'd read the bone meal section and noted her failure to mention caveats and make appropriate linkages.

Reply to
FarmI

She repeated that if phosphorus levels are too high, over applied, whatever, she never said what too high was. She gave no way of measuring short of a chemical analysis.

----- The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability - Paperback (May

1, 2009) by Lierre Keith

(Available at better libraries near you)

22 The Vegetarian Myth

And then there was K, potassium, available in ash, bones, urine, manure and some cover crops. I could pretend I'd find a supply of ash? woodsroves being as ubiquitous as maple trees in western Massachusettsand grow some cover crops, but 1 think by the time I got to "K" I was too intellectually exhausted to bother. My food had to eat before I ate it.

There were finer points, all of them sharp and hungry, that I learned about growing fruit. I didn't have fruit trees yet, but they were part of the mythic farm that waited in my mist-shrouded future. Calcium is always a limiting factor in the soil. When the calcium is gone, growth stops. And again, the calcium would come from ... Would I finish the sentence with an organic box from the feed store, laden with embodied energy and slaughterhouse dust? Or would I learn the grammar of my great-grandparents, and feed the trees with the bones of animals that lived beside me? Would there be any solace in this information? I found one small comfort in The Apple Grower by Michael Phillips. He quotes a book called The Apple Culturist from

1871, recounting the story of an apple tree near the graves of Roger Williams, the founder of Rhode Island, and his wife Mary Sayles. The roots of the tree were found to have grown into the graves and as- sumed the shape of human skeletons while "the graves [were] emptied of every particle of human dust. Not a trace of anything was left."19

-----

If you like weekends, thank an union.

=====

Reply to
Billy

who are we addressing today; billy goat, billy w/o a net or bill rose?

We call that a soils test, something you apparently do not endorse. Since you apparently do not have one perhaps you can borrow one from ole BWP's. We are all in the US, so it should be all the same, right?

The Doc apparently doesn't like to make such grandoise and generic suppositions as does your group of hacktivist. Funny how those science type want to deal in those silly little tests when we have the McBeth R&D trio.

Reply to
Gunner

why? Cuz that is the way its always been done by your family?

apparently there are a few ole dogs around here that have a hardtime.

Wood chips? really? so you mean she doesn't use wood chips like you do or you didn't read her work?

Myths btw are the way people hand down information of value according

Well, how about according to you instead. You still believe in myths or facts?

You are probably a good ole boy in your own quirky way BWP, but understand being old is no longer the defense against being stupid as it once was.

Anyone that continues to be as intellectually dishonest as you brothers bill will get no respect

Reply to
Gunner