Worm farms - collecting/harvesting worms?

Page 3 of 4

i certainly wasn't thinking i was "alone"...! i very much doubt i'd fit in at a johnny cash conference, though :-) well, except for the fact there'd be all sorts there, i suppose.

it's not power, it's what we call un certain je ne sais quoi.* the aforementioned man-hen/gay cowboy album i mentioned was recorded when he was all old & quavery & his voice was going entirely, but it is still amazing (and has some interesting covers of completely unexpected things - another thing i really like). kylie * with thanks to the french who are prescient enough to think up phrases for these phenomena!!!
<Charlie> wrote in message

:-)) You should know by now Charlie, that I am not at all backwards in coming forward. If a face needs to be ripped to shreds IMHO, I'm prepared to stand toe to toe and try to rip as hard as I can.

Do you remember when you were in school, how you knew all the kids in the years ahead of you and probably knew (roughly) where they lived and who their siblings were, what businesses their parents owned etc but you'd be hard pressed to identify too many of the kids in the years below you?
Well the US is the world equivalent of those big kids and the rest of the world is equivalent to the little kids.
The US is ubiquitous. It fills the news, it fills the airways, it fills usenet.
Culturally and politically its a REALLY big kid and to us little kids, it also frequently appears to be a bully that sometimes looks after us and sometimes bullies us, but most of the time just doesn't even notice us, or, if it does, it thinks we're some form of sub-species about which it knows nothing and doesn't want to know anything.
That analogy isn't meant to be a criticism. It's just a reflection of the sheer size and importance of the US in the world stage.
But one must consider that the vast majority are

I too am a product of our public education system and I have to say that I have nothing but praise for that system (with the exception that it didn't offer Latin and I always wanted to do Latin). I still remember nearly all of my teachers with great fondness as they were nearly all inspirational and interesting.
My older sister went to a relatively exclusive private girls school and my parents wanted me to go to the same place but I wasn't going to tolerate that for one moment. There were no boys there and the students all had to wear hats and gloves as part of their uniform and to wear their uniform in an 'approved' fashion (so no hitching up of the tunic over the belt till it just skimmed one's arse). I was an arse skimmer uniform wearer and got that down to a fine art, so the public education system and their slack uniform standards and boys and rough and tumble playgrounds suited me much better than the parental first choice.

Hmmm. I think I'd tend to agree with you about the comprehension and the curiosity. You'd rate the highest by 6 dozen country miles as showing the most curiosity of any USian I've ever come across in all the years I've been reading ngs.
I tend to be selective about whose posts I always/sometimes/never read and I know I have a preference for reading those people who do have a decent level of literacy and there are certainly many USians in the literate group who I do read.

Oooooh! Excellent site! Thank you. I've read a bit but have bookmarked it for later when I have more time (I can only see usenet by dialup so prefer to read when I can use the satellite broadband connection). What I did read was most interesting and I look forward to next time I can get in there for a good rummage through it and a good cogitate on issues raised.

Chooks is generic, like 'cattle'. Although usually (in the past I currenlty have no rooster) when I've had need to refer to one of my roosters it has been along the lines of "that mongrel ****ing bird....."

Yup. I used to grab those developing eggs when I was a kid and put them in mud pies. We had enough of the laid ones not to need to use the ones from the innards.
Do you still remember that distinctive smell from a chook being degutted? I can smell it now as I'm typing.

:-)) ANZAC is one of those terms that is evolving and has now developed a meaning something other than it's original meaning.
These days 'ANZAC' is little more politically correct than 'Australasians' which used to cover Ockers and Kiwis. If I used that I might upset George and he'd legitimately be able to criticise me for acting like the big kid.

I'll get back to the remainder of this post later, but in response to this part, and of major concern to me, and to the rest of us around the rock, consider this.... I'll let someone else do the speaking.......we usians are living in perilous times and one *should* be critical, in a sense, of the direction that the big kid possibly takes.
http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2009083205/fascist-america-are-we-there-yet
Back at ya later concerning the rest of the post, I'm having a bit of me favorite junk food (yeah, I talk big, but I have a few junks I try to keep closeted)....frozen pizza, a proper salad, and a huge glass of iced tea and then waddle off to bed.
*yawn*
Charlie

Yep, and this is something I respect...brings Heinlein to mind -- "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." :-)

What an effing great analogy and something I had not considered (for the now obvious reason), and sheds light upon many actions, motives and perceptions, both personally and on a global scale.

Uhh...sorry?
Yeah, well the same attitudes are common internally also, particularly regarding the poor, the elderly, the infirm, the indigent and most disgracefully....the young.

If you won't make the criticism, I shall, for I am ashamed of the way this country treats the rest fo the world, only slightly less ashamed than of the way the aforementioned sectors are treated.

I'm glad your educational system is/was praiseworthy and it shows. You see the results of ours everyday, both in the quality of education *and* the quality of socialization The public education system in the U$ is a disgrace to the term education, and this is *not* the fault of most of the teachers and administrators. It is the fault of the gov't and the financial dependence created by them taking the carrot fifty years ago.

Oh for fuck's sake, girl...didja really need to go and cause the mental images to start slideshowing? Arseskimming in a uniform. Much like arse skimming in a cheerleader's uniform (lovey was a cheerleading arseskimmer also). Not right, not right at all! More beer, hand me the hammer!

Thanks. Appreciated. Effenaye, I've been tryin' to deconstruct and unlearn some things for years. Perhaps I am succeeding. Thanks for the tutelage and sounding board.

Same system for me also, though sometimes I shoot off me mouth to someone best, for my sake, ignored.... sometimes you just can't help yourself.

Enjoy! Joe is a wonderfully crusty old fart, with a heart of gold and insight out the butt. Echoes many of my sentiments. Glad you like.

Gotcha.
Fooo......waste of a good egg treat, ifn's ya ask me! But sounds like a lot of fun ;-)

Indeed I do, and the smell is/was not upleasant IMO. Smells, more than sounds, evoke memories for me that oft lie hidden, but surface in the strangest places, recalling memories. Recentlly I was in a dunny somewhere, that had the exact smell of my grandmother's basement in Chicago... damp, pinewood scented something. Instantly I saw and felt things long lying below the threshold.

Shame ain't it. Political correctness and homogenization.
Political correctness is not a substitute for politeness and respect.
Charlie

countries are mentioned in a report, it usually has to do with our interests. There may be a picture of some locals for color.

There are many governments as bad as ours or worse, but they don't spend half of the world's defense budget. If it wasn't for graft, we would be even more formidable.

because of Sputnik. I got a great education. Thirty years ago, I went to college for $400/semester. Same school is now $2,000/semester. Our schooling system, as you know Charlie, is meant to produce workers. Problem is that there are no jobs. Unemployment, keeps wages down.

know how to talk to the opposite sex. Socially crippled.

--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common
denominator in our exploitative economic system.
Charlie wrote:

Actually as a world power, I think the US is really starting to slip and to slip fast. I'm watching China now and those bastards are far less palitable (sp?) than the US as a super power.
In article

We still spend half of the world armament budget but the U.S., Russia, China, we are all oligarchies. Our mass medias feed us stories that benefit our oligarchies, not the masses. Propaganda by Edward Bernays, Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media by Edward S. Herman and Noam Chomsky: this is how the world is run. The myth of democracy and freedom is all that is left. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1205607/Shock-figures-reveal-Brit ain-CCTV-camera-14-people--China.html Figures released today showed that in Britain the number of Big Brother snooping missions by police, town halls and other public bodies has soared by 44 per cent in two years. One request is made every minute for officials to spy on someone's phone records or email accounts. Last year there were 504,073 new cases - an average of 1,381 a day. It is the equivalent of one adult in 78 coming under state-sanctioned surveillance under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.
And so it goes, EVERYWHERE.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common
denominator in our exploitative economic system.
In article

Guess you Know it Was Jim Morrison's Dad who was the captain of the "attacked ship".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Morrison
Bill
--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

i don't think i'd say that, it's a bit paranoid :-)
however, it's a fact that governments are always disappointing in the end (ime). no matter the good intentions, ultimately in trying to govern for everyone, nobody is really happy. that's life i suppose. (for democracies, anyway).

there's no hindrance to the poor taking up gardening & eating the results, like the middle class do. (i'm on topic! i'm on topic!) and i mean that. quite a suitable quotation, really. kylie

<Charlie> wrote in message

On that topic, I think we could end up having a good toe-to-toe session because I don't agree with Heinlein there (and say that as a licenced gun owner who does own guns).

You're a dominant nation in all areas of life. I can't turn on the TV or the radio or read ngs without having the US (politically and culturally) there in all its glory and non glory all the time.
I even write differently in groups that are dominated by USians because I know that USians are only fluent in one form of English and that is American English.
Billy got the point when he responded to your comment about how the rest of the world is mentioned in the US - it's all about US interests (except for local colour).

Yep. I'm always fascinated by that aspect of America and Americans and how such an attitude ties in with American's own view of themselves as living in a 'rich' country and 'the best place in the world' where 'everyone' wants to live (which on analysis really turns out to mean poor and uneducated illegal immigrants who believe in the Coca-cola culture).
For such a (normally) generous and open hearted bunch I simply cannot understand all those miserly, mean spirited comments I keep seeing on ngs about any government help going to any 'underclass'. These people are not only fellow citizens but they are also fellow human beings!

US government attempts at dominance don't really bother me too much. It'd be a pretty poor government of any nation that didn't try its hardest to represent the the interests of its peoples in the best way they know how. The hypocricy does get to me at times.
(so no hitching up of the tunic over the belt till it

:-)) That was quite a few decades ago now Charlie. Although I now realise when I look at old photos that I was a very good looking teenager and young woman, I had no idea of that at the time. I've never been vain so now when I look at the old lady in the mirror who looks back at me, I'm quite content with her and her saggy looks.
THAT should cure you!!!!!!!

:-)) I underconstumble. I do that too even though I know I shouldn't.

I agree. I never foudn ti undpeasant either. Same for the guts from a sheep.
Smells, more

Smell is an extraordinary source of evocative memories for me too.
In article

Just remember that if you feel a lump in your breast, check to make sure it ain't your belt buckle ;O) (I'm running, I'm running)
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common
denominator in our exploitative economic system.

Maudie and 'arry had been together over fifty years when old 'arry up and expired suddenly. After months of grieving and sorely missing 'arry, Maudie called upon her dearest friend Mattie and explained how she could now longer go on without 'er 'arry and was going to meet 'im, but needed some 'elp, seein's how she 'ad no idea 'ow to use 'arrys old service revolver.
Mattie explained to 'er "Just place the barrel firmly under yer left breast, dear, and pull the trigger and you'll be with yer beloved 'arry."
They sadly shared their goodbye's and Mattie went home to await the call. After hearing nothing after several days, Mattie began calling about and found that Maudie was in 'ospital. Rushing to 'er side, she found an irate Maudie. What 'appened, dear, Mattie asked.
Maudie explained that she had followed Maudie's instructions and that the noise and the pain were horrifying and that as she was losing consciousness, she was anticipating the joyful reunion with 'er dear 'arry.
When she opened her eyes she saw this gorgeous young face and as the fog lifted from her consciousness, she heard the young doctor explaining how they had had to replace her left kneecap.......

Perhaps so, but I really care not to do this. I don't always read this oft quoted quote literally.....one must be armed with things other than literal weapons.....knowledge, facts, wisdom, confidence, prudence, an attitude to "rip a face to shreds", literally or figuratively, if need be. If all within a society were prepared to to this, then we would have a more polite society. I too own enough firearms to accomplish any of the tasks for which those tools were designed. I grew up using firearms, am proficient, just as I am proficient with many other tools, including chainsaws, which are every bit as dangerous as a firearm. By whe way, for you gun haters, in the US, hospitals kill so many more people that firearms........but I digress.

Funky deal, yet quite interesting (also referencing the Brokeback talk) that though we have a common language, it really only common enough to perhaps communicate on a minimal level. It seems that written is easier to grok than spoken.

Yep. A very good point. The vast majority of americans base their entire worldview upon the propaga, news they see/hear on the nightly news.

I friggin' *live* here and cannot understand it either.

WHich peoples does government represent? THe representation I am witnessing seems to be in only in the best interests of the few, and if any crumbs manage to hit the floor, well so be it, and be more careful at trough the next time. 'twas ever thus

Yeah, it cured the teenage Charlie that took control for a bit, but honestly, and Lovey and I discuss this often, we prefer the patina of age. And I am finding that you and we share many of the same values and perceptions. Good on *us*. :-)

Underconstumble!!! What the hell kinda word is *that*....got it...urban dictionary....new to me....thanks! I underconstumble! Lots of that going round.

Rabbits on the other hand.........

Indeed! To you and yours and me and mine...
...and I am reminded of lines from a favorite song of ours from one of the now departed...
We drank a toast to innocence We drank a toast to time Reliving in our eloquence Another auld lang syne... ~~Dan Fogelberg
For your satellite time.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CV7zKBbZbY

Care Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message
I grew up using firearms, am proficient, just as I am

i'm not even sure if i want to go here but....
firstly, it AMAZES me that people think people ought not to die in hospitals. considering they're full of germs, disease & sick people, the staff are overworked and the food is execrable (if not in fact hazardous to the health), being killed by hospital seems pretty much the natural order of things, to me. (similarly, planes fall out of the sky & everyone is shocked, and yet, if the engine goes wrong, surely one does not honestly imagine the plane will arrive intact _anyway_, so i'm constantly amazed that people object to plane crashes. incredible!! of course the plane will crash & everyone will be killed if anything goes wrong - it flies in the air & there's nowhere to go but down. i don't understand peoples' thinking sometimes, i have to be honest there.)
secondly, (the place i really don't want to go, & probably won't return): yanks love their guns, yet their homicide, accident & injury rate would be a great deal more palatable without the ubiquity of firearms. it's just the way it is, the stats tell the story, & arguing about it is moronic.
so that's fine, and when you're all tired of killing yourselves & each other in droves, you'll discover that it's really not so bad after all to have a few checks in place. it will probably happen whether you like it or not, but arguing about it is still moronic, and charlie, you're clearly fairly smart & ought not to say silly things such as chainsaws being equally dangerous... unless you can fell a tree with it from half a kilometre away, of course. <g> :-) kylie

LOL.
Yet again, another brilliant post from the ever irrepressable Kylie! No flies on you.

You're right there; I haven't put in any soil/fibre/etc. I've only added food scraps. What do you suggest I do here? I can easily add soil, newspaper, egg cartons, mixture of the above, etc. If I've got BUY something.....not gonna happen. I'm prepared to do what I can, but that stops short of forking out money to get it working.

You're right there; I haven't put in any soil/fibre/etc. I've only added food scraps. What do you suggest I do here? I can easily add soil, newspaper, egg cartons, mixture of the above, etc. If I've got BUY something.....not gonna happen. I'm prepared to do what I can, but that stops short of forking out money to get it working. ______________________________________________
You must have some decent soil like stuff aroudn somewhere either in the bottom of your compost bin or in a veg bed or in a flower bed or under a bush that has been shedding lots of leafy stuff. Just pick some soil that looks good and fibrousy and put it in the bottom and see what worms arrive in it where it currently is if you want to continue to experiment.
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 01:16:43 -0700, Gas Bag wrote:

Don't, let them do it. Just dump all your organic trash into a pile in their compound. that will create a "compost heap", which will bring worms, which the chooks will scratch up.
The problem with worm farms is that they are a lot of work for little worm production. As pointed out, ground worms are not suitable for worm farms. Native ground worms go deep and transfer stuff up and down. Worm farm worms stay shallow and work close to the surface.
--

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

a more efficient way might be to cover an area of the chook pen (sequentially) with something such as heavy cardboard or even tin or something like that (having made sure the ground is damp first), & when lifted later (weeks??) there should be worms just under the surface (as well as slaters etc) eating the decomposed organic matter there. this is what i have found happens in my chook pen if anything gets left on the ground for a while & there seems to be a permanent worm station under their water bucket.
with the compost idea, the chooks might well just scratch it to bits so you don't get the peace & quiet needed to attract the worms; or, the chooks might eat something that gives them food poisoning if it's been there for a while (not very likely i don't suppose, but certainly possible). anyway, it just sounds like work to me :-) i know that quite a few people dump their kitchen waste for the chooks but i'm not sure it results in more actual worms & so forth.
i recently found out our local butcher gives away (free) the gack cleaned out from the bottom of the meat mincer each day. so we've started getting a bit of this from him (the chooks love it, naturally). o.p. might like to see if his local butcher does this too. i must say their first lot set them off into a frenzy of laying & they're keeping it up - don't know if it was good timing (just recommencing after winter & it would have happened anyway) or if a few doses of hardcore protein's really done them some good laying-wise. :-)
i am just thinking that if o.p. wants more protein for the chooks, there are easier ways :-) a free - range worm farm would be excellent, but (ime only) more for the good it does in soil improvement & making soil improvement products from the worms, rather than the worms themselves - i think of worms as a bit too precious to use for chook food <g>

that's right - they will only breed to fit the conditions. certainly if they are constantly removed more will replace them, but it's a bit slow i reckon. i would try to think of an easier free way to get more protein for the chooks. kylie