Worm farms - collecting/harvesting worms?

Hmmmm. Human males who get called 'wombat' fit that category of being oversexed freeloaders because a wombat eats roots shoots and leaves.

'Chickies' doesn't phase me at all. I frequently call my chooks the 'Took Tooks'.

I once had a rooster I called Darryl after a chap I worked with. Both were gorgeous but with high opinions of themselves.

I once laid Darryl (the rooster) out flat with a pice of 4x2. The mongrel bastard had come up behind me and laid into me and opened up my calf with his spurs. I just picked up the wood and swung it at full arm's length and got him in the head. He was unconscious for a coupe of minutes but then woke up and came at me again. He ended up in the pot as soon as I could chop off his head and the sod was as tough as an ancient pair of army boots.

He was the worst rooster I ever owned and I think that was because I'd had to hand rear him.

Reply to
FarmI

Why don't you just call them "Papists", "darkies", "pinkos", or "Christ Killers"? What is unnatural is your profound ignorance in a world of information.

good news is that you can be cured by opening your eyes, and your heart. Go to
on the "Hebrew and Arabic united in song" in the left hand column, and understand that a one state, one world, one people solution is the best solution. If I can be in your dream, you can be in mine.

Reply to
Billy

When I had chooks I never bred my own but used point of lay pullets sourced from outside. They used to spend their first 12 months in an above ground shed large enough to sustain 8 birds with two nesting boxes.

Because I also had dogs, before I nailed chicken wire to the frame I first secured the chook shed with concrete reinforcement wire. I used 2' of wood shavings, at the time freely available from a local timber mill, above the 8' x 4' galvanised iron floor to which I added shell grit, garden weeds and also sea weed to the mix. It eventually became wonderful compost for the garden.

Their second (final) year was in a garden shed with a little garden area attached where they could scratch away to their hearts' content this time protected from the dogs by cyclone wire mesh that extended to 4' beneath the ground. ;-)

Kylie, please don't think you are alone in being a Johnny Cash fan. :-)

I've downloaded heaps of his music, the power of his voice forces me to listen whereas I'm inclined to ignore other singers if I'm doing something else.

Reply to
John Morrison

I'll get back to the remainder of this post later, but in response to this part, and of major concern to me, and to the rest of us around the rock, consider this.... I'll let someone else do the speaking.......we usians are living in perilous times and one *should* be critical, in a sense, of the direction that the big kid possibly takes.

at ya later concerning the rest of the post, I'm having a bit of me favorite junk food (yeah, I talk big, but I have a few junks I try to keep closeted)....frozen pizza, a proper salad, and a huge glass of iced tea and then waddle off to bed.

*yawn*

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Check your Mail

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

And The Voice spoke and Charlie obeyed The Voice, and after speaking the secret things and making the motions of the hands, the box opened and, lo, lying amongst the rubbish were two Pearls of Great Price, which moved Charlie to pluck them free and marvel at their beauty; wondering about and pondering upon those things lying in the depths of their opaque, translucent beauty.......

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Got much for snail btw ;))

How can we share with comfort and security ?

Billy and Charlie and I do now. If you want to taste some e mail snipped-for-privacy@snip.net and I'll offer to supply a list place but you must be vetted by Billy and Charlie first.

Worms btw are all about rotting wood chips and skunks seeking turn the depths and provide a nurturing place for beauty.

Northern Lights Alap Erik Wello cranking PS e has a /

Reply to
Bill who putters

"With few words I shall make thee understand my soul." ? Michelangelo

A lofty goal, no?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Since you're up, maybe you could get us another beer?

Things I won't do next year: I won't wait till March to start germinating seeds. (a golden oldie, this one I'll won't make the raccoons come into the garden to find mulch. I'll lay out a new bed of mulch, far from the garden, that they can have. I won't put a squash plant between all the tomatoes vines (they're getting trampled). I won't wait clean up the garden and sow my green manure. I won't stick posts into the ground for my trellises anymore, with out pouring concrete around them (tired of having them fall over, and the clay hasn't gotten softer).

I tried plastic mulch last year, for whatever reason, this year has gone much smoother. I can get water to where I want it, and the plastic isn't frying my new plants. Don't know what I'd do without drip irrigation. When I'm rushed, I can turn it on while I do something else. It doesn't cover everything but it covers a lot of the garden. Iron phosphate gave me a care free year from the snails and slugs (nearly). Experiments with self seeding seem to be successful.

Finally, pesto tonight, with sautéed zuke, and insalata Caprese.

Reply to
Billy

and

and

Dang, Charlie. You are in eloquent form. It's a real treat, though not a surprise.

Reply to
Steve

Here ya go. Hang on, as we're in for a bit of a rough ride here for a bit. Got's us huge black and blue and green clouds bearing down on us.

Later, I'm shuttin' down the 'puter and scramblim' to get things battened down.

Reply to
Charlie

Got apple mail and Spam sieve too. Get weird junk from Greece sometimes. No thing is perfect. My provider gave me barracuda.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

Oh shit......I read this last nite, but it didn't register until now......

Yeah, the last Darryl I had came up against a metal feed bucket when he laid open my forearm as I was rescuing my toddler. The effer never regained consciousness, as his head was promptly pinned to the ground by the rim of the pail and his legs went skyhigh. Tough eating yeah, but tasty in a perverse way.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

, yet I thankee for the sentiment and do enjoy bringing treats to folks, though most times it is entirely unintentional and not something to which I aspire. Let not thy right hand, or is it the left?....or sumpthin' to that effect.

At times the Muse moves upon me but more than likely it's one of me several vices which activates the Muse, from from which I shall take yet another needed sabbatical...likely to be made less difficult, at least on the morrow, because of the anticipated hangover.

Ain't much lookin' forward to mountin' the new high dollar elliptical that has essentially been forced upon me by my oh so loving family, and which is now mocking me silently from the other side of this pile called a desk.

I prefer my vices, thank you very much.

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker." ? Ogden Nash

Charlie, moving on to the other side of inspiration now, which unfortunately can be a rather morose place in which to find oneself, but not an unfamiliar, nor uncomfortable, place for me.....probably ought to back away from the keyboard now. Hmmm....haven't paid much attention to old Michaelangelo tonite, now have I?

But I do heed the advice of Shakespeare... ;-)

?Listen to many, speak to a few.? --- William Shakespeare

Reply to
Charlie

Have a care.....a song from Jimmy Buffet is rattling around my head....

May your meditation prove beneficial.

Reply to
Charlie

The 'cuda hasn't given me any trouble since I discovered how to feed it a treat and now it doesn't attack me.

Charlie

Yep, and this is something I respect...brings Heinlein to mind -- "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." :-)

What an effing great analogy and something I had not considered (for the now obvious reason), and sheds light upon many actions, motives and perceptions, both personally and on a global scale.

Uhh...sorry?

Yeah, well the same attitudes are common internally also, particularly regarding the poor, the elderly, the infirm, the indigent and most disgracefully....the young.

If you won't make the criticism, I shall, for I am ashamed of the way this country treats the rest fo the world, only slightly less ashamed than of the way the aforementioned sectors are treated.

I'm glad your educational system is/was praiseworthy and it shows. You see the results of ours everyday, both in the quality of education

*and* the quality of socialization The public education system in the U$ is a disgrace to the term education, and this is *not* the fault of most of the teachers and administrators. It is the fault of the gov't and the financial dependence created by them taking the carrot fifty years ago.

Oh for f*ck's sake, girl...didja really need to go and cause the mental images to start slideshowing? Arseskimming in a uniform. Much like arse skimming in a cheerleader's uniform (lovey was a cheerleading arseskimmer also). Not right, not right at all! More beer, hand me the hammer!

Thanks. Appreciated. Effenaye, I've been tryin' to deconstruct and unlearn some things for years. Perhaps I am succeeding. Thanks for the tutelage and sounding board.

Same system for me also, though sometimes I shoot off me mouth to someone best, for my sake, ignored.... sometimes you just can't help yourself.

Enjoy! Joe is a wonderfully crusty old fart, with a heart of gold and insight out the butt. Echoes many of my sentiments. Glad you like.

Gotcha.

Fooo......waste of a good egg treat, ifn's ya ask me! But sounds like a lot of fun ;-)

Indeed I do, and the smell is/was not upleasant IMO. Smells, more than sounds, evoke memories for me that oft lie hidden, but surface in the strangest places, recalling memories. Recentlly I was in a dunny somewhere, that had the exact smell of my grandmother's basement in Chicago... damp, pinewood scented something. Instantly I saw and felt things long lying below the threshold.

Shame ain't it. Political correctness and homogenization.

Political correctness is not a substitute for politeness and respect.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Sounds like Afghanistan were folks wear their weapons. all the time.

Only if you think of Al Capone as a big kid.

We are the English speaking media capitol of the world.

Our media talks to us about us, and about what we want. If foreign countries are mentioned in a report, it usually has to do with our interests. There may be a picture of some locals for color.

Especially the poor. They are invisible. Nobody wants to look at them.

As I.F. Stone said,"Governments lie. All governments lie". There are many governments as bad as ours or worse, but they don't spend half of the world's defense budget. If it wasn't for graft, we would be even more formidable.

You lost me. Fifty years ago, the U.S. was pumping money into education because of Sputnik. I got a great education. Thirty years ago, I went to college for $400/semester. Same school is now $2,000/semester. Our schooling system, as you know Charlie, is meant to produce workers. Problem is that there are no jobs. Unemployment, keeps wages down.

I've met some products of Canada's single sex schools. They still don't know how to talk to the opposite sex. Socially crippled.

Well, hey, look at the time. Think I'll be running along ;O)

Reply to
Billy

i certainly wasn't thinking i was "alone"...! i very much doubt i'd fit in at a johnny cash conference, though :-) well, except for the fact there'd be all sorts there, i suppose.

it's not power, it's what we call un certain je ne sais quoi.* the aforementioned man-hen/gay cowboy album i mentioned was recorded when he was all old & quavery & his voice was going entirely, but it is still amazing (and has some interesting covers of completely unexpected things - another thing i really like). kylie

  • with thanks to the french who are prescient enough to think up phrases for these phenomena!!!
Reply to
0tterbot

And one derives satisfaction from eating something

there seems to be no "turn the other cheek" where cranky male animals are involved!! (my sons find this hard to accept, but they'll learn ;-)

i wasn't devestated by it, purely because i had such a struggle understanding anyone & hence had little idea of what was going on . when jake gyllenhall (sp??) was killed it was fairly crushing though, as was heath ledgers horrible lonely old age... now you mention it.

since you WILL ask, the only two lines of dialogue i could actually understand were: "ah'm naht queeah!" and "nah'm ah!". christ only knows what else they talked about. (the role of the existentialists in 20th century literary development?)

Needless to say, the film received a

i don't know where you live, but :-)

i confess that i am rather impressed on several levels.

johnny cash is NOT country!! i don't like country, that is how i know :-) i have a soft spot for ghastly gloomy music about murder, death & hanging... i think that's what it is. or something like that.

here is one of my Johnny

kylie

Reply to
0tterbot