Worm Castings?

First time garden question....Have been reading about worm castings, and seeking opinions......Some say pretty much the greatest fertilizer ever...Others say home gardeners don't need fertilizer or just use composted cow manure...I would like to get best result I can...my soil appears ok - mostly black dirt, some clay though. Anyone here have experience with this stuff? Which way will I get best results? Thanks
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 23:20:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I use it in moderation - I really have no idea if it makes a difference or not. Ibought one bag this year (so far). I use compost, manure, used to use grass clipping, I bought seaweed concentrate and bat guano this year - I like to experiment. Basically, the healthier the soil and it's inhabitants, the healthier the plants.
That said, if I had a good manure source (cows,rabbits, horses, chickens) I doubt I'd buy much of anything else. Manure and a compost pile = gold to me. When it's time to fertilize, manure or compost tea are delightful. Top dresssing with compost builds up the soil and the plant. Mulching the plants with leaves or straw or grass clippings also builds up the soil.
Have fun!
Kate
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 23:20:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Haven't ever purchased them, but have read the results.
I don't know, my garden is freekin' alive with earthworms and each year there are more. Each year the garden is healthier than the year before. I use no chemferts or poison. I have fewer insect problems each passing year.
I believe the worm castings play an important part in my increased soil health.
Charlie
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Count your blessings, if you have black soil.
--

- Billy
✖
On Apr 27, 5:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I used worm castings this year in several pots with tomatoes. Either I did something wrong, or it's all hype, because 1:4 and 1:5 castings: potting soil mixtures produced no increase in produce. In fact, when I didn't have castings, the tomatoes produced more, but that might be a fluke. Either way, although enhancing microbes is really important to prevent diseases, you could probably achieve better results by mulching with grass clippings (moisten before use, and water before mulching to lock in the moisture). Compost works better than worm castings, and it's cheaper too. I got a 30 lb bag for $20. Compost you can make yourself or buy for much less.
For your situation, just amend the soil with compost and clippings, and the microbes will come anyway.
Add pictures here
✖
yoyo wrote:

Would it be true it requires some types of bacteria to break down the nutrients in worm castings or other organic fertilizers?
I see some organic fertilizers specifically labeled for use in-ground only. I would think that since most of the potting soil mixes have no or very litter beneficial bacteria, this type of organic fertilizer would not be helpful at all.
I did try to call customer service asking them about this in-ground condition but I hung up the phone after being passed through about 4 departments.
Add pictures here
✖

No.
--

- Billy
✖

I have heard worm castings are great, but I would recommend just encouraging the earthworms to come and do their thing right in your yard. I've got heavy clay soil, but a heavy layer of dead leaves and a sprinkle of cow poo have done wonders for my soil, as the earthworms come in droves. --S.
Add pictures here
✖