Winter's Arrival

It's right on schedule. LIght rain clearing to a cloudy and windy day with falling temperature. Predicted ±30° (-1,C) tonight; ±26° (-3,C) tomorrow night. Fortunately, the chill will be short duration but, naturally, the late "English" peas are in full bloom; showing just a few tiny nascent pods. I guess that's the way it's 'sposed to be. Most years yield at least _some_ nice fresh winter peas but this year's "late" peas really were late: That is, late planted. Lows are expected to be back to the more usual mid-50s midweek, though, so I'm covering in hopes of saving the plants, if not the blossoms.

Reply to
Derald

They are predicting a low of 2°F her tonight. I don't know that I want to go out of the house tomorrow.

Reply to
The Cook

Same here. Predicted high in mid-40s tomorrow which probably will keep me indoors, too! At least this little chlly spell should knock the rest of the leaves off the trees, giving the garden here a few more hours of afternoon sun.

Reply to
Derald

i haven't been outside since last Sunday other than to put something in the garage and that was close enough. Ma shovelled yesterday but it was pointless as the winds have filled it all in again. probably will wait until Wednesday to shovel again.

not much is moving around here on the roads as i think they are saying if you aren't an emergency vehicle or plow stay off the roads. we've not seen a plow today and people have been trying to go down our road and then backing up because they can't get through.

wind chills will keep things very cold (-20F -

-35F) tonight and tomorrow. i'm glad i don't have to be anywhere. later in the week we'll get above freezing again. any garden plants are well insulated under about 2ft of snow.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

It was 3* here in Stone County in N. central Arkansas this morning at 5:45 .. Tonight they're predicting a more tolerable 23* - and that's consider ed unusally cold here .

Reply to
Snag

31 (5555556,C) on my front porch at some time during the small hours. Made it up to 46 today, which is more typical of our overnight lows. Not unusual for this part of the peninsula but infrequent. Two-to-four such "cold waves" usually occur each year but they're generally of short duration. Be colder tonight with no cloud cover; weather geek's going on about temps in high 20s. Everything that was covered survived nicely but tomorrow (Wed, 8 Jan) morning may have a different story. More typical lows in high 50s?low 60s "should" return within a day or two and the really frost-tender stuff (basil, peppers) can go back outside.
Reply to
Derald

At these temps, a flat tire could kill you. Stay home unless it is an emergency.

Reply to
Billy

Billy wrote: ...

we're good! :)

today was the first day i got out and shoveled a bit. the end of the drive was the usual snow plow frozen mass of goodness. tonight will be cold again but then things will warm up for a while, above freezing even.

what you been up to?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Foxfire is a neat idea.

Just remember that the articles are reported by and thus filtered through high school students. Back when I was one, I tried to follow some of the woodworking information as provided by Foxfire, and it didn't work out overly well. Decades later, I can see some gaping holes in what was written .vs. what was actually being done, having learned a thing or seventeen from other sources and experience...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

yes, it is a project of reporting, describing, i have other wood working books with much more detail and descriptions. :) no worries as most of what i would be interested in would be simple things needed in case of "having to" as compared to now where i can armchair any of it if i need to.

the same for about any other item in the books, they are a basis for thinking and further reading points if i need to.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

...about books...

when it becomes generally legal i expect they will have the same type of regulations that they have for the home brewers. i.e. small amounts ok, but if you are selling it expect to be licensed and paying taxes.

me either, not on that topic...

i think i have that one around here some place. tried to find it to see if it was the exact same book or not but i can't find it ATM. ah well. :)

i still haven't seen that one or read the book. it's on my someday list.

...water...

my guess is that things will change rapidly once people have to make a choice between eating and drinking and washing their cars or many other wasteful things done with the current water supply. something simple like using composting toilets can save a huge amount of water, but that takes a major change of mind set for some people and they won't do it until forced or the generation changes through time.

i'm past it now. doing fine. we took a walk today for the first time in a few weeks. up and down the road a few miles. nice to have a bit of sunshine and warmer temperatures. then we got most of the ice off the drive that hadn't finished melting yet.

we have mongrel squash, i have no idea where the seeds are from or if they've bred true. very good though with big meaty seeds. i've also got the seeds from the acorn squash to propagate for next year too.

no, Mars is too close, i want to go to another earth like planet in another solar system entirely. :) as i am older and somewhat decrepit there is very little chance anyone would take me. i can only daydream and work on the problems of complete closed system growing and nutrition. in the meantime i keep the birds, bees and other critters happy.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Billy wrote: ...

ah, found it! yes, that's one of the references i have here, a little dated as it was published around

1999... but not too bad compared to some of my other references. i'm finding bits of it purely delusionary, but that's just me. still a good jumping off point for other references at the end of each section. some references to the Foxfire books in there too.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Which of the Foxfires do you find helpful, or are you just a curious sort?

Reply to
Billy

Billy wrote: ...

hahaha, curious, yeah, but also find it interesting to read up about mountain folk as i did live in the hills for a few years. and some things i read in their interviews aren't mentioned in other references, so it adds some depth or experience that i would not have otherwise. just in case i actually ever have to do any of these things.

i've not read through all of them yet, but each seems to keep my interest enough to make them worth it.

right now i'm reading Zinn's _People's History..._ you recommended to me last year. very interesting there too. Jackson, wow...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Yeah, the beginnings of modern politics. Talk one way, and act another.

History is a contentious subject. A national standard curriculum was advocated in in the 80s in response to a study called a "A Nation at Risk: The Imperative For Educational Reform". Most everything was agreed to, except history. Some see history as Christian Europeans bringing civilization to the unwashed masses, others, however, like Zinn, see the contributions, good and bad, made by all people to history. The standard curriculum was never ratified.

A good companion book to Zinn's "People's History" is "Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong" by James W. Loewen. From Publishers Weekly Loewen's politically correct critique of 12 American history textbooksincluding The American Pageant by Thomas A. Bailey and David M. Kennedy; and Triumph of the American Nation by Paul Lewis Todd and Merle Curtiis sure to please liberals and infuriate conservatives. In condemning the way history is taught, he indicts everyone involved in the enterprise: authors, publishers, adoption committees, parents and teachers. Loewen (Mississippi: Conflict and Change) argues that the bland, Eurocentric treatment of history bores most elementary and high school students, who also find it irrelevant to their lives. To make learning more compelling, Loewen urges authors, publishers and teachers to highlight the drama inherent in history by presenting students with different viewpoints and stressing that history is an ongoing process, not merely a collection ofoften misleadingfactoids. Readers interested in history, whether liberal or conservative, professional or layperson, will find food for thought here. Illustrated. Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Reply to
Billy

here, yes, i doubt however that in any other country that there haven't been eras like this one with their politicos.

considering the issues involved i could see why. the saddest things though to me are that we could have had such an interesting country otherwise, one that contained groups of people who actually knew how to live off the land. so much knowledge lost, languages and cultures destroyed, etc.

i've been reading a lot of history lately. time to get back to basics. plants, dirt, critters, science, etc. are up next. the title sounds familiar and if it is much of a rehash i'll skip it. as i told Ma, after reading through the anti- slavery and civil war rhetoric, several presidential biographies, and now almost done with Zinn's book, i'm ready to ponder other topics. i'll continue on with the Firefox books i've not read yet.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

"When the facts change, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?" - John Maynard Keynes

Good reading :O)

Reply to
Billy

Billy wrote: ...

yes, here is an interesting one:

and another i'm waiting to download at the moment...

also, i did get the movie called _The Corporation_ that you mentioned before, if you haven't already gotten ahold of the

2 disk special edition i suggest a review as there looks to be some interesting material on there. ;)

peace, etc.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I'll do that. Zeitgeist Films, c2005 ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Billy

ah, sorry, i already returned it, i'm not sure what the date on it was, it was a two disk collection or special edition.

now that i've watched them, in retrospect, most of it was rather much the same, only some of the links provided were worth the time to look at. i guess i am not much into advertizing ethics or some of the other issues, as they did not really inform me any more than i'd already picked up.

in the film itself:

however, i do have to say that the water war footage in (Guatamala i think it was) was rather stark. showing a sniper, in plain clothes, calmly walking up to a line of soldiers countering protestors, crouching down and taking someone out, wow. just wow. caught on film, no edits, no cuts away, just one sequence of film. cold blooded murder.

in the afterwards it is noted that Bechtel is seeking damages of some amount from the country/government.

songbird

Reply to
songbird