Winter mulch pile

So does anyone recommend covering your mulch pile with black plastic to speed decomposition over the winter? I have a rather large pile (VW beetle size) of well mixed top soil, chipped branches and leaves, grass clippings and last years compost with earthworms. I want to maximize decompostion so I can use it in spring. Will keeping covered keep it warmer?
thanks
Hal

it will likely keep some of the rain off which is useful if the pile is hot, it will help keep it from being cooled by too much rain and going soggy. If the pile is cool and cold composting I doubt it will make too much difference. I use old carpet on my compost (breaking down in my gardens) to keep the pile moist as I notice under mulch the top layers break down better and has good work activity than if left open to the elements.
rob