Winter Cover?

What to plant in a garden over the Winter?
On 10/31/2015 9:47 AM, Davej wrote:

winter crops. Stuff like cabbage, spinach, lettuce, carrots, beets, etc. Right now we still have eggplant, cucumbers, and tomatoes still producing. First frost can't be far off now.
On 10/31/2015 08:42 AM, George Shirley wrote:

Monday, I am suppose to get down to 29F. It will kill everything in my garden except the Garlic.
Any suggestions as to my winder climate: Norther Nevada? Winter days 40's to 50's Nights 20 to 30. Extreme nights to zero.
On 10/31/2015 4:30 PM, T wrote:

George, Native American, Native Texican
On 10/31/2015 04:31 PM, George Shirley wrote:

What tribe?

Is that in the United States? Do they have a football team?
:-)
-T
On 10/31/2015 6:43 PM, T wrote:

registered with a tribe. Each parent was half white, half Native American. Both Mom's parents were half Cherokee/half white, Dad's dad was full blood Choctaw, married to a white woman, a blond at that. Never made any difference to us, we're just full blood Americans.
Texican is the old word for Texan, born in Texas, most likely will die here. Worked in two different Arab Gulf countries, lived and worked in several states, pure D oil field trash, third generation.
We've been sitting on the front porch, handing out Halloween candy, dawg tried to defend the candy basket so put her back in the house.
Rain stopped earlier today, thank goodness, lots of folks south of us got flooded, hit by high winds and tornadoes. Glad we picked this end of Harris Cty, Texas to move to. Plus we're nearly three hours closer to our kids, grands, and great grands but I do miss rural Louisiana and the slow pace there. Not to mention the excellent fishing, fresh and salt water, all within a thirty minute drive.
On 10/31/2015 06:50 PM, George Shirley wrote:

Spend about a year in San Antonio with the Air Force in the seventies.

hopefully the rains have finally let up!
We got a whole inch last week! (typically seven inches per year.) and ALL the weeds decided to sprout!
On 11/6/2015 8:09 PM, T wrote:

rain stops she will be displaying her watercolors in hope of selling them. I will be curled up with a warm dawg and a nice sci fi book.
On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 14:30:43 -0700, T wrote:

Here in western Washington state I overwinter with rye grass and hairy vetch. Not 'common' vetch - it is considerably less tolerant of cold. I'm not sure if any would survive 0degF, maybe with a protective cover/mulch.
Davej wrote:

what area?
around here winter wheat and winter rye are both good winter crops to turn under in the spring. the garlic is planted, but i've vastly downsized my planting this year for next summer's harvest.
most of what i'll be doing the next few weeks for planting will be digging in some leaves.
songbird