Windowsill Watermelon

Hey guys, i'm new here, and I'm also new to growing things, this is m

first attempt and i'm lost.

Basically, i'm trying to grow a watermelon plant (?) on my windowsi (for now..) I don't have a greenhouse or any kind of outdoor place t grow it, apart from a small garden). I started by reading a few guide on how to plant the seeds and I have some small plants growing now Here are some pictures.

didn't want to link the actual images in the thread because they'r about 1000x750res)

Im now wondering where to go from here, do I move them to a bigger pot to somewhere bigger or will they be fine where they are for now? I'v been watering them about once or twice a week (as I read on a fe guides online).

Thanks for your help in advance.

(by the way, i'm living in north east of england, where at the momen the temprature is around 17-23°c)

- Do

-- Domje

Reply to
Domje

Im not entirely sure about local farmers, but I think there are, a they sell them on the local market in my town.

if watermelon wasn't a good thing to start on what would you recommend I would quite like to grow my own veg, not indoors, but maybe in m garden or something, not tomatos though, but maybe some othe fruit/veg.

thank

-- Domje

Reply to
Domje

How big is your garden? What veggies do you like?

Reply to
Manelli Family

Garden is this size...

like pretty much all veggies really, :

-- Domje

Reply to
Domje

You have the space for a few peppers, some beets, Swiss chard, a few collards.... you have space for a small variery of veggies. :0)

Reply to
Manelli Family

You have gotten a good start. Those look like healthy watermelon seedlings (perhaps a little low on light, based on the tall stems), and you can transplant them or thin them (having them stay that closely crowded together won't work very well).

However, I'm not sure you'll get any fruit between now and when it gets too cold or too dark. You can always try, and if nothing else you'll get an interesting looking plant. But next year, start in the spring with the watermelon.

As for what else to grow starting now, what springs to mind is cool weather crops - chard, lettuce, spinach, carrots, beets. Maybe even peas (here in Washington, DC they do better in the spring than the fall, I'm told, because the vines take cold better than the pods, but England might have a mild enough fall to be different). The main challenge with many of those is getting them started now, while it is still (relatively) hot. But if the seeds come up, you should be set. If the seed packet says "80 days" and you start now, you should be harvesting around the end of October or start of November. That should be fine for the kinds of things I've listed here, which don't need quite as much sun and heat as, say, a pepper.

I would generally aim to grow your vegetables outside (once they are started anyway). While there are vegetables you can grow indoors, the greater sun which is available in your garden will generally make it easier (or in some cases, possible).

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

thanks for that really informative reply. I quite like the idea of pea and beets, and also spinach, I don't really like lettuce, thanks for th help anyway :

-- Domje

Reply to
Domje