Will solarization kill bamboo?

Page 1 of 2
My old garden (14'x60') has two problems, on the left side where I've been growing green vegetables I have a terrible bamboo problem. On the right side where I've been growing tomatoes I have a wilt problem. I have a new garden (15'x20') this year so I'm planning on letting at least part of my old garden lay fallow. I'm going to solarize the tomato side to kill the wilt pathogens. I've been using roundup on the bamboo but it's never been able to eliminate it. I was wondering if solarization would kill bamboo? It's supposed to be pretty effective against weeds as well as pathogens so it might work. On the other hand the bamboo might just punch it's way through the plastic.
One more question about solarization in general, does it work in New England? The papers I see on the web are from UC Davis. Ma is a lot cooler than Ca. For solarization to work it needs to get the soil temperature pretty high, will it get high enough here?

Adopt a Border Collie. Pen it where the bamboo is. ;-)
She killed mine and she's controlling my Star Jasmine for me at the moment!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

They any good at controlling bindweed and morning glory? ;-)
CHarlie
On Sun, 04 May 2008 19:52:43 -0500, Charlie wrote:

NOW you tell me! I just put my tomato seeds in last week. Very late for this area. Praying to whichever gods will listen to me that the whole crop doesn't get wilted out like last year.
You mean I shudda baked the earth for 'n' day/weeks, and that woudda done it!
Dang!
Persephone

Charlie obviously meant that he had wilt in his garden and he hopes that heating it would get rid of it. It probably won't. If your soil was good last year, it probably will be good this year too. Here in northern California the soil is almost 70F, on the north side of a hill, so it is probably a propitious time for you to plant your tomato seeds. Good luck, good health, and bon appetit.
--

Billy

WTF...is Charlie drunked er summat? Charlie seems to be missin' sumpthin' Charlie writed?!??!! Charlie gots no wilt inna garden...wilt be elsewherses....Charlie thinks.
Charlie, er, I am Charlie, ain't I?

What, you been left out of the loop?
--

Billy

Either that or I swallowed the hook
Carpie Diem
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message

Carpe diem.
Don't use another language unless you're familiar with it ... :-)
Mary

Does this mean I can't even use English v. American?
(Maybe Charlie meant "seize the carp.")

Most people seem to use American - even Brits! That doesn't mean that they use it effectively, much less correctly.

In that case (!) he might have said goldfish ...
Mary

This is a phrase that the fish monger in Asterix could use when the blacksmith tell him that his fish aren't fresh. The fish monger usually says that the previous year was an outstanding year for fish, and then hits the blacksmith with one:-)

--

Billy

Latin is a dead language, as dead as it can be, It killed the ancient Romans, and now it's killing me.
--

Billy

On Mon, 5 May 2008 19:49:00 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

Don't be pedantic and critical about someone's language usage, or intentional misuse, until you are certain that the person, with whom you are not familiar, doesn't know what they are about. :-)
Have you been reading the other thread about my eating carp and the resultant hilarity that is developing over carp being made into fertilizer? CharlieCarp, to be precise.
Thus.... carpie diem....playing with words with Billy, who knows what/who/when/where/why is what.
*Now* I am off to build fence. Charlie

Now don't be down my good friend, you brought a lot of smiles to many faces today, faces that need as many smiles as they can get. Good on you, mi amigo.
--

Billy

In article

Nothing wrong with a good laugh. :-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

:-) And seize the day we did, mon ami, indeed we did.
Not a thing wrong with some daily silliness to counter the unsilliness of the world. Glad I was able to serve some positive function. I only exist to serve. ;-)
Oh, BTW.....byte me Fran! ;-)
Charlie, who spent a good part of the day helping younger son set 4x4s for privacy fence. Digging a couple dozen three foot deep holes sounded like more than I wanted to do (manual post hole diggers are a bitch to run).....so we went and rented one them there gas powered gophers and made short work of tunneling. Likely prevented me from developing.........*CARP*al Tunnel.......

From another thread dear. ;-)
Seize the fish...

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

No... that's Carpe Crappie.
or Carpe Piscis
...then there's Crappie Diem.