will peppers ripen after being picked...like tomatoes?

Will peppers ripen after being picked...like tomatoes?

Does heat help the ripening process? Dryness?

The very first three cayennes peppers turned bright red...seemingly overnight. I never noticed them changing. Since then only one pepper in the garden has started to turn. And after five days since starting only one side of the pepper is bright red. The rest is very green.

All of my tomatoes are showing ripening including my Burpee Burgers which are slowly turning through blends of yellow and orange to red.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, 1 mile off L.I.Sound

1st Year Gardener
Reply to
DigitalVinyl

They never have for me.

Probably. (On the plant, I assume you mean.)

Some good eating shortly! :)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Actually I've been eating them about 2 weeks now, the 4th of July started around the 4th of August. My Healthy Kick plums have been producing ripe ones about a week. I just picked tomato & basil to slice on my sandwich.

I sometimes just carry the salt shaker out to the plants. Although I think I like them more when they've chilled a little.

I've also got Baby Bear pumpkins[planted too early for Halloween :(], Jalapenos, cayennes, anaheims and plenty of green bells. The raw Jalapeno was hot, even with sour cream. My mouth was tingling a half-hour later. Have to make stuffed jalapenos soon...garden vegetable cream cheese or chorizo and diced cajun shrimp, mmmm.

I just finished lunch and I'm still thinking about food!

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, 1 mile off L.I.Sound

1st Year Gardener
Reply to
DigitalVinyl

I think you're hooked now... You're a gardener, for better or for worse. :)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Mine do. I bring them in with the tomatoes and leave them in a big bowl on the counter and they change color over a period of several days. They ripen slower than the tomatoes, but as long as they aren't getting soft I just leave them there at room temp and they do their thing.

Putting them in the fridge seems to immediately kill the ripening process.

Dawn

Reply to
Dawn

I've been very surprised at the behavior of cayennes. When I pick everything right before frost and make ristras, almost all the green ones turn red.

I haven't observed what happens with other varieties.

Regards, Dianna _______________________________________________ To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Reply to
Dianna Visek

Yes.