Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

Page 1 of 4
Hi friends,
Do you ever heard about Heirloom tomatoes? If not then just take a look.
The Heirloom tomatoes that are also known as heritage tomatoes are open-pollinated (non-hybrid) cultivar of tomato. These tomatoes have become increasingly popular and are more readily available in recent years. The seeds of the Heirloom tomatoes are being saved for years and passed from one generation to the next. Today most of the tomatoes purchased from grocery stores are hybrids. These hybrid tomatoes are being bred to produce higher yields and for uniformity in colors and shapes. But its flavor is not up to the mark.
The Heirloom tomatoes are quite better in comparison to hybrid tomatoes. The Heirloom tomatoes are first known for their amazing flavor. In addition these tomatoes are available in distinctive shapes and in various ranges of colors like purple, green, orange and many more.
--
rogers

Snob value? <g>
Seriously tho' I know what you mean. I've heard good things about the flavor of heirlooms.
Vine ripe tomatoes of any variety tho' are better than any store bought ones by _yards_.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

Almost any home grown tomato is better than those red things in the store.

Yep!
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the
Omelet wrote:

A couple of years ago, in the dead of winter, I was perusing the grocery store tomatoes and one variety actually smelled like a tomato. They were the bright orange colored tennis-ball sized tomatoes with the stems attached. (the yellow and the red tomatoes just like them had no smell, just like the Roma, "greenhouse", and generic slicing tomatoes.) I bought a few and made pico de gallo with them, saving some of the seeds. They were actually good! I planted them in my garden the next year and they were good fresh too, but my family wouldn't eat them because they were the wrong color.
I should probably plant "Black Krim" or "Green Moldovan" next year. ;)
Bob

The "on the vine" tomatoes from the store are actually decent, and worth the fact that they are twice the price of others. ;-)
I don't use a lot of fresh ones anymore, so I can afford them when I want them as I only buy two or three at around $2.39 per lb. on average.
Last fall, I planted 2 tomatoes (around the beginning of September) in about a 30 gallon pot, and put them in the greenhouse. I had a few ripe tomatoes at the beginning of March...
but only because I hand pollinated.
One of these years, I'd like to try hydroponics with timed lighting. I just cannot afford it yet.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

Not long ago I saw Black Krims for sale at Whole Foods. Our regular grocery now claims to sell some varieties of heirloom tomatoes. They certainly look like they could be. But I almost never buy "fresh" tomatoes from the grocery anymore. We eat our fill in the summer and fall from the garden.
Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot

What do you do in the winter?
I will can a few tomatoes and freeze some blanched and peeled.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

Well, I try to keep warm and make it a point not to shovel any snow. :D Last winter I bought "fresh" tomatoes exactly once. For cooked cuisine requiring tomatoes, I use canned (home or store). For salads--- oh my gosh--- I use a wide variety of fruits and veggies for salads in the winter but no "fresh" tomatoes usually. Last winter, I think we had a different salad everyday. I throw together what looks good. How about you? What do you do in the winter?

--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
In article

We are close to Mexico and our local store sells some tomatoes that are "on the vine" (and they really are!) Tomatoes still attached to the vine.
Must be chemistry as those are actually decent. If the price gets too high, I, too, will use canned, even on tacos!
I did grow a pair to tomatoes last winter in my greenhouse and it sorta worked. I had a few ripe tomatoes in early March, but I had to make sure I paid attention to the plants and hand-pollinated the flowers.
My mom taught me to do that. She used to joke about "having sex with her tomato vines". <lol>
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

Our groceries have those too. They look like Jet Stars but our regular grocery has a very bad habit of chilling the tomatoes and ruining the taste of even the decent tomatoes. When you cut them open, you can see that line around the circumference that indicates they've been held at too low a temperature. There are other problems too. They order far too much produce and it often sits until its rotten on the inside. Ugh! I have to be very careful. A somewhat close Whole Foods opened recently so I might be able to get better ones there.

I sometimes used canned diced tomatoes in salsa. Brands vary a lot.

I was doing that with cucumbers before we uncovered them. The zucchini were far easier...lol.

--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
In article

Perhaps... but I've done best at the farmers market when I can attend. I seldom shop at Whole Paycheck. Sun Harvest is just as good, and more reasonable price-wise.

Meh, I use generic. I have noted that canned tomatoes at least have decent flavor. :-)

So long as you get male and female blooms at the same time! :-)
Been there, done that.
For some reason, there is always a rash of male only blooms at the beginning of the season. Fortunately, I LIKE stuffed squash blossoms! ;-d
Deep fried... Mmmmmm.
I am wondering if there is a good way to store some of that pollen, and have it be viable.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

I was out just this morning helping the zucchini to commit lewd and lascivious acts. Lots of boys, not so many girls. Some of the boys got left out. :o( Sue

I wonder if there is a soil treatment for that? Halfway seriously. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

Occasionally I've found a girl who was such a trollop that she was willing to accept the pollen from lots of the boys. You oughta see her batting her petals at them. Disgraceful!!! tch tch. ;o) Sue

ROFL!!! I've seen Corn Silk like that...
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

Ach!!! Those brazen tassel twirlers!! Sue

;-D
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the

You're lucky you live in a region that has a farmers market operational in the winter. Our markets are barely what you'd call "Farmer's" let alone winter operational. In the summer, we get most of our produce from the garden so I don't need a farmer's market then. Never heard of Sun Harvest. Is that a competitor?
I find lots of things competitively priced or better at Whole Foods, and some not--- especially meat. I think it really depends what kinds of foods you buy (or are forced to buy, like gluten-free for instance) and local grocery store pricing. I don't shop there exclusively... far from it. [...]

Gosh I have no idea about the pollen. I harvest the male zucchini blossoms most late afternoons and use them for dinner. When there are enough at one time, I batter and deep-fry them as well as zucchini spears. Far more often, they get sauteed and mixed in with something else or chopped over a salad or other dish--- especially a zucchini stir-fry.
How I wish I lived in a cool enough climate to grow nasturtiums. I just love them in salads.
Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot
In article

Yes, and a common one around here. They have a lot of organic and bulk foods, and some _killer_ sales. :-)

I can't eat wheat either. Sun Harvest sells some most excellent corn and rice pasta! I like the corn better. Deboles brand:
http://tinyurl.com/6qenfa

I'd not tried them chopped as a salad ingredient. :-) Mom and I always fixed them stuffed and fried.

They grow fast, try growing them seasonally. I can grow them in the late winter/early spring but then when it gets hot, they do die off. I've not tried potting them and keeping them in the shade tho'.
Pretty plants!
I just wish Lantana was edible. It's drought resistant so I use a lot of it for landscaping. With all the rain we had a couple of weeks ago, my Dallas Reds are blooming their lovely heads off right now!
http://i28.tinypic.com/16945yf.jpg
I need to take pics of the ones in the driveway garden. Some of those are turning blood red when they mature. :-)