Why does store bought spinach include so much mud

I can't grow spinach. Snails are a problem. I live in long dry season area. And doesn't spinach prefers northern latitudes? Cool with long days?

So, if I grew spinach I might know the answer to this: Why does store bought spinach include so much mud? Also, I notice the mud usually has some sand content.

Reply to
hort-4

Rain. If strong enough it'll splatter mud up on plants; and if plants are picked when it rains you'll get mud, too.

Henriette

Reply to
Henriette Kress

My wife buys sealed bags of fresh spinach at the store. We have it all the time. It always looks clean enough to eat right out of the bag. I've often noticed how clean it is and wondered if it might be grown hydroponically.

Steve

hort-4 wrote:

Reply to
Steve

one more reason to mulch absolutely everything in the garden. and for this reason alone I am planting seedlings for everything now, right through the mulch, except for tatsoi and arugula. my greens are always clean, though they were not in the past when I was direct seeding.

Reply to
simy1

?? What's wrong with mud? In small amounts it's _good_ for you. Also, mulch harbors things like snails ... far more icky than a bit of clean dirt.

Henriette

Reply to
Henriette Kress

two things: one, in my sandy soil mud is quite gritty and two, after a big rainstorm lettuce heads are half brown. I eat greens every day and those that are mulched require no washing even after rain.

Reply to
simy1

if the bags are sealed then there is a high propability that they wash them first (and perhaps process them in other ways too)

Reply to
Nick Apostolakis

I work in a plant where we wash and bag fresh spinach. If it is muddy in the fields when it is harvested the spinach comes in extremly muddy. We send ours thru a double "log flume" type wash system before spin drying and packing. And even then it still sometimes has a little grit left in it.

Wrench

Reply to
Wrench

Just for the heck of it, I looked to see if we had any of that bagged spinach at the moment. We do and this bag is from Dole. (Usually it had been some less known brand.) Right on this bag it says triple washed.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

yes of course and usually when they are bagged they may be proccessed in other ways too. in fruits for example you may have arificially maturing procceses or colour improvement processess or sterilization through radiation in nuts for example and stuff like that

Reply to
Nick Apostolakis