Why did I plant zucchini...

I used to do that with figs until I got a roomate that eats them.

--

ellis

Couple ago I had only one zucchini plant. I used it to feed India. :)

Try coating it lightly in powdered ranch dressing mix, and frying in a nonstick pan as-is. (I also do this with catfish.. YUM!)

Use it as a pasta substitute in meat and tomato dishes, or in meat and cream of mushroom soup dishes. You can even make a sort of lasagna that way.

Gut large ones and fill the hollow with a mix of sausage and mushroom soup; bake. Looks like a cat barfed in your oven; tastes wonderful!

~REZ~

Reply to
Rez

One of the items in my, um, cookbook, entitled "Why No One Eats At My House":

Zucchini poisoning.

;)

~REZ~

Reply to
Rez

Put it in curries. Delicious!

Reply to
Draven

Try this: Take some zucchini and cut them lengthwise into 1/4 in planks. Place them on a sheet of aluminum foil. Slice some onions and (ripe) tomatoes, and put them on top. Cut some corn off the ears (or use frozen cut corn) and sprinkle liberally on top. Dot some butter, margerine, or combination on top. Add salt & pepper to taste. Fold over the foil. Put a few holes in the top with a fork to release steam. Put the package on a medium-hot grill for 20 minutes or so (while the rest of your barbecue is cooking). Enjoy without guilt (lots of vegies, little fat). One 6-in zucchini makes good planks for one package.

Jim Thomas

Reply to
Jim Thomas

I cut them Lengthwise and freeze them to make Zucchini Lasagna later. just use the zucchini noodles instead of the Lasagna noodles. I boil th zucchini before putting into the casserole so that they are nice an tender.

Grilling them is great too, and on kabobs they are great. We also lik them saute'ed in a Chineese stir fry too. I have grated them and froz them to make zucchini bread before too.

You can also make homemade pizza with the ingredients you are allowe to eat and slice a few slices of zucchini on them.

A long time ago I had a recipe where you could make fake pineapple ou of zucchini, and it really tasted like pineapple. I'm not shure I coul find that recipe now though

-- Maryc

Reply to
Maryc

My goodness we are getting a lot of great advice here. Too bad that I haven't seen the original poster back here to comment on any of it. :-(

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Copied from a favorite Mexican restaurant in So. Cal., El Presidente, Sliced Calibacitas (not sure about the spelling, it's been years).

My version is: Cover sliced rounds of Zucchini with Mexican green salsa, I like La Victoria Microwave until tender Cover with Monterey Jack Cheese Microwave until melted Yum

Reply to
LJ

Just got back.

Wow! Some great ideas. I'm going to try several. We're having stuffed zucchini tonight, and I want to try some fried.

We're making kabobs on the grill tomorrow, so I'll try some there. And we usually have pasta with homemade sauce about once a week, so I'll try the shredded zucchini idea in that.

Reply to
Anonymous

My zucchini are doing a "here they all come". I have 3 plants; one was in the greenhouse and two outside. We've been enjoying zucchini from the greenhouse for about a month. Now the outside ones have 3 large zucchini on them since I missed picking them at the ideal size of about

8 in. Here's how we like zucchini besides bread - Slice or chop one spanish onion. Cut zuchinni into bite size pieces. Sautee in olive oil with a little butter until onions carmelize slightly. Sprinkle on a little salt, pepper, and grated fresh parmesan cheese. Enjoy :)
Reply to
~patches~

I'll say. I can't wait for a zucchini to try zucchini lasagne. But since zukes often provide more all at once than one family can eat, what are good ways to make use of the extras (other than put them on the neighbor's porch, ring the bell, and run, like I used to do as a kid)? If you freeze them, how, and what are thawed zucchinis good for?

Kathy

Reply to
Kathy

Get a vegetable dehydrator and make zucchini chips. No added fat, salt, or anything. The dried chips taste good and freeze very well.

Reply to
Tony Nardo

Frozen & dried zucchini are good in soups or stews. Our favourite way is to sautee zucchini with onions and season with a little fresh ground pepper, salt, and fresh grated parmesan cheese.

Reply to
~patches~

I have a vegetable dehydrator. Do I just cut my yellow squash into slices and dry them or should I dip them into lemon juice first? About how long does it take to make the chips and how do I tell when they are done?

Reply to
Daniel Prince