Why did I plant zucchini...

Page 2 of 2
Kathy wrote:

is to sautee zucchini with onions and season with a little fresh ground pepper, salt, and fresh grated parmesan cheese.
"Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com" <> wrote:

Make pickles.
* Exported from MasterCook *
Squash Pickles
Recipe By : Serving Size : Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 8 cups squash, summer -- sliced 2 cups onions -- sliced 1 tablespoon salt 1 cup green pepper -- diced 2 cups vinegar, cider 3 1/2 cups sugar 1 teaspoon celery seed 1 teaspoon mustard seed
Combine squash and onions. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand 1 hour.
Combine peppers, vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil.
Drain squash and onions, add to liquid. Boil for 1 minute
Remove from heat and pack in jars and seal.
Process in BWB for 5 minutes for pints.
Yield: "4 pints" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation,

Cut into coins and saute in butter with onion until light brown. Quick and easy.
What herbs go good w/Zukes?

Some of my favourites are fresh thyme, fresh flat leaf parsley, or dried oregano.
Also, for those zucchini that get too big and seedy, I stuff them and bake them. Scoop out the seeds, and some of the flesh, shred the flesh with some carrot and/or parsnip, mix with some dices tomato, onion and bell pepper (and optionally some seasoned sausage meat), plus seasonings of your choice. Top with bread crumb and olive oil, then bake in a 350-375F oven.
Andrew
"TQ" <ToweringQs AT adelphia.net> wrote:

Dill. :-)
--
Om.

Sometimes in August a day's picking will yield a handful of beans, a small pepper, a small zucchini, one tomato, and such - not enough of anything for a meal. So I steam the mixture together with a little onion (long cooking veggies go into the pot first, short cooking ones later) and dress with olive oil, salt, and basil. That's good. When there are lots of zucchinis, I like them stir fried and dressed with a dash of soy sauce and sesame oil.
I used to plant zucchinis in the spring, but discovered that it works better for us to plant them in July. The squash borers have gone by then, and the peas and lettuces are just finishing up and ready to give up their places in our small garden. An early July planting yields in mid-August, which gives us a zucchini harvest for 4-6 weeks. After that we're about ready to give up eating zucchinis anyway.

One of the items in my, um, cookbook, entitled "Why No One Eats At My House":
Zucchini poisoning.
;)
~REZ~
http://grannyskitchen.com/zucchini /
it freezes well also... zucchini bread year around

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com <> wrote:

I love it in soup.
-- http://yosemitecampsites.com /

Put it in curries. Delicious!
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com Wrote:

I cut them Lengthwise and freeze them to make Zucchini Lasagna later. just use the zucchini noodles instead of the Lasagna noodles. I boil th zucchini before putting into the casserole so that they are nice an tender.
Grilling them is great too, and on kabobs they are great. We also lik them saute'ed in a Chineese stir fry too. I have grated them and froz them to make zucchini bread before too.
You can also make homemade pizza with the ingredients you are allowe to eat and slice a few slices of zucchini on them.
A long time ago I had a recipe where you could make fake pineapple ou of zucchini, and it really tasted like pineapple. I'm not shure I coul find that recipe now though
-- Maryc
Copied from a favorite Mexican restaurant in So. Cal., El Presidente, Sliced Calibacitas (not sure about the spelling, it's been years).
My version is: Cover sliced rounds of Zucchini with Mexican green salsa, I like La Victoria Microwave until tender Cover with Monterey Jack Cheese Microwave until melted Yum

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

Get a vegetable dehydrator and make zucchini chips. No added fat, salt, or anything. The dried chips taste good and freeze very well.

I have a vegetable dehydrator. Do I just cut my yellow squash into slices and dry them or should I dip them into lemon juice first? About how long does it take to make the chips and how do I tell when they are done?
--
My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.