Why did I plant zucchini...

Page 1 of 2
...when I can't even figure out a decent way to cook it? :-)
The plants are pretty, though. And big.
Seriously, though. Other than breading and frying (I'm on Weight Watchers), any tasty tips would be appreciated.
"Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com" <> wrote:

i love them stuffed. Saute with some garlic and herbs Grated and cooked with corn and diced onion and used as enchilada filling
marcella
grilled with a little oil, onions and yellow squash great side veggie
Halve, Scoop out the center seedy part and stuff like a boat with different mixtures. ground Italian suasage, marinara, mushroom, onion and some seasonsings is a good one.
Zucchini pie - basically a zucchini quiche, get the mix right and it is absolutely delicious.
Shread and use as vegetarian filling. I like a lot of veggies in my meatloaf, I use shredded zucchini well pressed (to eliminate water). I've also considered trying to use zucchini as a sub for potato in swiss potato pancakes(forget the words for it, rotti? something like that, shredded potato, onion, butter, shredded cheese, pressed in a frying pan and becomes like a hash brown. I want to try zucchini in that with mozz &/or provolone and probably some diced roasted redder pepers.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 3rd year gardener http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&.src=ph
Marcella Peek wrote:

Try this: Take some zucchini and cut them lengthwise into 1/4 in planks. Place them on a sheet of aluminum foil. Slice some onions and (ripe) tomatoes, and put them on top. Cut some corn off the ears (or use frozen cut corn) and sprinkle liberally on top. Dot some butter, margerine, or combination on top. Add salt & pepper to taste. Fold over the foil. Put a few holes in the top with a fork to release steam. Put the package on a medium-hot grill for 20 minutes or so (while the rest of your barbecue is cooking). Enjoy without guilt (lots of vegies, little fat). One 6-in zucchini makes good planks for one package.
Jim Thomas
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

Slice into wedges and saute with olive oil and garlic, s&p (only al dente )
Slice into wedges or cut into cubes and saute with yellow (summer) squash in olive oil and s&p. Again only aldente and about half way through give 'em a good splash of balsamic vinegar.
Slice them and use them in a lasagna style dish.
--
Steve
Ever notice that putting the and IRS together makes "theirs"?
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 00:27:14 GMT, "Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com" <> wrote:

Take them into work and leave them anonymously.
Boron
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:44:20 -0400, Boron Elgar

Back when I actually had a crop (why do those darned things turn yellow and rot at about 1" long?) that's what I did. Sue

Sue wrote:

Lack of pollination. If bees are not doing the job you need to go out in the morning and do it yourself.
Steve
Boron Elgar wrote:

Yeah, that's what everyone else does.
Actually, years ago, I thought breading and frying was the only way to eat them. I haven't done that in years. I like them now cooked very simply. I just steam them (or boil them) until they get barely tender. They should still be a little crispy, not cooked to mush. A little salt and a little butter and they are really good. The trick is to stay ahead of them and pick them when still very tender. No more than a few days after flowering. Healthy fast growing plants may produce 8 or 9 inch zucchinis in a few days that will still be tender. Stressed plants may take longer to make a smaller zucchini that is past it's prime. If you neglect to pick them and they get too big, it's time to take them to work. One other thing, zucchini is best cooked right after being picked. This is at least as important as it is with sweet corn. If I have zucchini laying around for much more than a day, I throw it away and pick more. If you fry it, you may not notice the difference but it's pretty obvious when you steam it.
Steve

Last night's (picked an hour before) were sauteed with some onion, a tomato, a bit of tarragon, thyme, salt & pepper. Love that garden.
Still, in another week there will be more zucchini than lighting bugs out there. It is my neighbor's fault - she gave me the seedlings.
Boron

Couple ago I had only one zucchini plant. I used it to feed India. :)
Try coating it lightly in powdered ranch dressing mix, and frying in a nonstick pan as-is. (I also do this with catfish.. YUM!)
Use it as a pasta substitute in meat and tomato dishes, or in meat and cream of mushroom soup dishes. You can even make a sort of lasagna that way.
Gut large ones and fill the hollow with a mix of sausage and mushroom soup; bake. Looks like a cat barfed in your oven; tastes wonderful!
~REZ~

I used to do that with figs until I got a roomate that eats them.
-- http://www.spinics.net/photo /
On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 00:27:14 GMT, "Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com" <> wrote:

I always cook them with stewed tomatoes. Sue
"Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com" <> wrote:

Lightly steamed in chunks.
Grilled unbreaded in slices, marinate with salad dressing. Foreman grill or open grill works.
Shredded and served raw on salads.
Cut into thick strips, dip in ranch dressing and eat raw.
LOTS of ways to prepare this wonderful veggie! :-)
HTH?
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

Grilled, grilled, and grilled. Slice into long strips, toss them with a little olive oil and salt and assorted herbies, and throw on the barbie.
Or, alternatively, sauteed with peppers and onions and a little salt (the salt helps draw out the juices and it carmelizes nicely) on high heat so they get a little seared on the edges, then toss in a little soy sauce at the end (and sesame seeds if you have them). A good way to cut squash (or any vegetable for sauteeing) is to cut it first into quarters, then chop at alternating angles \/\/\/ to make irregular trapezoidal pieces. The angles help things move in the pan better than flat, regular slices, which have to be tediously flipped.
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

Toss them in a crock pot, sliced thinly, with one diced onion and about the same amount of diced fresh tomatoes, and cook until they are soft and the tomatoes have broken down - usually 4 hours or so on the high setting, or 8 on the low setting. Season with Italian seasoning, or fresh oregano, thyme and parsley, and salt to taste. My husband eats this as is or over white rice as a side dish, and it also freezes well. (You can cook this on the stove top if you don't have a Crockpot - takes about 45 minutes from start to finish that way.)Depending upon what else is producing in the garden, I will toss in green peppers or other vegetables, too.
You can also slice them and serve young small ones in salad in the place of cucumbers.
Evelyn McHugh wrote:

My goodness we are getting a lot of great advice here. Too bad that I haven't seen the original poster back here to comment on any of it. :-(
Steve

Just got back.
Wow! Some great ideas. I'm going to try several. We're having stuffed zucchini tonight, and I want to try some fried.
We're making kabobs on the grill tomorrow, so I'll try some there. And we usually have pasta with homemade sauce about once a week, so I'll try the shredded zucchini idea in that.
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

My zucchini are doing a "here they all come". I have 3 plants; one was in the greenhouse and two outside. We've been enjoying zucchini from the greenhouse for about a month. Now the outside ones have 3 large zucchini on them since I missed picking them at the ideal size of about 8 in. Here's how we like zucchini besides bread - Slice or chop one spanish onion. Cut zuchinni into bite size pieces. Sautee in olive oil with a little butter until onions carmelize slightly. Sprinkle on a little salt, pepper, and grated fresh parmesan cheese. Enjoy :)

I'll say. I can't wait for a zucchini to try zucchini lasagne. But since zukes often provide more all at once than one family can eat, what are good ways to make use of the extras (other than put them on the neighbor's porch, ring the bell, and run, like I used to do as a kid)? If you freeze them, how, and what are thawed zucchinis good for?
Kathy