Why Arenąt G.M.O. Foods Labeled?

Page 2 of 2

Aside from everything else there is the issue of pattens. Sure you can get your omega 3 rich tomato but it will cost you. Control of the food supply will be a police duty.
Now back to Bladerunner or was it some Heston movie.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

łEvery conflict in the world today has its origin in the
âś–

Soylent Green? And book control the duty of the fire dept.
--
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in
the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are

Still not sure what a GMO is but thank you for the information
GMO= genetically modified organism
Add pictures here
âś–

Just continue the point I was trying to make, when plant breeders select one plant because it has a desirable trait, for example, it grows faster, what they are really doing is genetically modifying the plant. The offspring will contain the desirable gene.
This has been going on for thousands of years with plants and animals.
GMO speeds up the process because scientists use recombinant DNA technology which actually extracts genes from one species and inserts those genes into another species.
So "normal" breeding relies on randomly occurring change and GMO speeds up the process by picking specific changes.
The way the public reacts to this is that they see a Frankenstein in the making. Fortunately, scientists recognize the danger and take steps to minimize the problem. The same danger is present with "normal" breeding. It's just a matter of degree.
Add pictures here
âś–

The problems with GMOs are multiple.
There is no relationship to normal breeding. No matter how many times that lie is told, it won't make it the truth.
Breeding for size is simply preferentially cultivating the larger organism. On the other hand, giving people composite eyes from a fly, or giving tomatoes protein from fish is beyond normal.
Despen has not responded to the first four points below.
1) An antibiotic is attached to the genes that are to be inserted. This allows for identification of GMO cells in a petrie dish. It also allows bacteria to develop a resistance to that antibiotic, making it worthless in the treatment of a bacterial disease.
2) The cauliflower mosaic virus is attached to the genes that are to be inserted. The cauliflower mosaic virus is the activator that turns on the inserted gene. More than 98% of the human genome does not encode protein sequences (junk DNA). Some of these genes are for suppressed evolutionary traits such as gills, some could be dormant diseases. These genes are also susceptible to being activated by the cauliflower mosaic virus.
3) The spliceosome (a complex of specialized RNA and protein subunits) from the host cell may not recognize a protein from the injected genes and attach it to other proteins, thereby creating an unique proteins which may be allergens.
This appears to be the case with GMO potatoes created by Arpad Pusztai at the Rowett Research Institute in Aberdeen, Scotland. He was tying to modify the lecithin in the potatoes, which he did, but the potatoes gave lab rats lesions in their digestive systems, which lead to death (which, IIRC, had nothing to do with the lecithin).
[In 1995 the Arpad Puzstai began research on genetically modified potatoes containing the GNA lectin gene from the snowdrop plant.[2] His group fed rats on raw and cooked genetically modified potatoes, using Desiree Red potatoes as controls. In 1998 Arpad Puzstai said in an interview on a World in Action programme that his group had observed damage to the intestines and immune systems of rats fed the genetically modified potatoes. He also said
"If I had the choice I would certainly not eat it",
and that "I find it's very unfair to use our fellow citizens as guinea pigs".[4]] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arpad_Pusztai>
4) GMO Bt corn (StarLink) kills monarch butterflies. Round Up Ready crops allow more glyphosate to be used to suppress weeds, but it also severely damages the soil biota, triggers over 40 plant diseases, and endangers human and animal health.
5) GMOs don't produce larger crops.
6) Then there is the matter of a recent recent CBS/NYT poll that found 87 percent of consumers want GMOs them labeled so that they can make an informed choice about what they eat. Arpad Pusztai, a recombinant geneticist agrees with them (see #3 above).
Other than that, there isn't anything wrong with "Genetically Modified Organisms" (GMOs) that we know of, yet.
--
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in
the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are
âś–
In article

The whole idea of saving the best for the next generation of seeds resides on a delicate thread . Seed viability can be lost in a few years if GMO's interlope. Control of viable seeds is removed from the end users and placed in the hands of a few corporations. I wonder how many GMO seeds are deposited the Norwegian Seed Bank? I'd guess none and wonder why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
ť16qkHpAXo
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

łEvery conflict in the world today has its origin in the
âś–

Good guess:
http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id !26
About 2/3 of the way down.
Since they only have about a third of all current crops I guess they think they don't need them. Of course the GMO companies have their own seed banks.
Add pictures here
âś–

I think you need to re-read the thread where I agreed that these are all legitimate issues.
I don't want to look now but I think you commented that you were happy I agreed.
Any alteration in genes is dangerous. In many cases they lead to the previous occupier of the ecological niche being removed. Ie, they go extinct.
It's a matter of opinion as to whether that's a good thing.
Add pictures here
âś–
In article

Singing in the rain Just singing in the rain. I'm happy again. Yada Yada. Who wants a label besides me?
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/newPathogenInRoundupReadyGMCrops.php
ISIS Report 21/02/11 Emergency! Pathogen New to Science Found in Roundup Ready GM Crops? USDA senior scientist sends łemergency˛ warning to US Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack on a new plant pathogen in Roundup Ready GM soybean and corn that may be responsible for high rates of infertility and spontaneous abortions in livestock Dr. Mae-Wan Ho Please distribute widely and forward to your elected representatives
An open letter appeared on the Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance founded and run by Judith McGeary to save family farms in the US [1, 2].  The letter, written by Don Huber, professor emeritus at Purdue University, to Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack, warns of a pathogen łnew to science˛ discovered by ła team of senior plant and animal scientists˛. Huber says it should be treated as an łemergencyąą, as it could result in ła collapse of US soy and corn export markets and significant disruption of domestic food and feed supplies.˛ The letter appeared to have been written before Vilsack announced his decision to authorize unrestricted commercial planting of GM alfalfa on 1 February, in the hope of convincing the Secretary of Agriculture to impose a moratorium instead on deregulation of Roundup Ready (RR) crops.   The new pathogen appears associated with serious pervasive diseases in plants - sudden death syndrome in soybean and Goss' wilt in corn ­ but its suspected effects on livestock is alarming.  Huber refers to łrecent reports of infertility rates in dairy heifers of over 20%, and spontaneous abortions in cattle as high as 45%.˛ This could be the worst nightmare of genetic engineering that some scientists including me have been warning for years [3] (see Genetic Engineering Dream or Nightmare, ISIS publication): the unintended creation of new pathogens through assisted horizontal gene transfer and recombination. Huber writes in closing: łI have studied plant pathogens for more than 50 years. We are now seeing an unprecedented trend of increasing plant and animal diseases and disorders. This pathogen may be instrumental to understanding and solving this problem. It deserves immediate attention with significant resources to avoid a general collapse of our critical agricultural infrastructure.˛ The complete letter is reproduced below. Dear Secretary Vilsack: A team of senior plant and animal scientists have recently brought to my attention the discovery of an electron microscopic pathogen that appears to significantly impact the health of plants, animals, and probably human beings. Based on a review of the data, it is widespread, very serious, and is in much higher concentrations in Roundup Ready (RR) soybeans and corn-suggesting a link with the RR gene or more likely the presence of Roundup. This organism appears NEW to science!  This is highly sensitive information that could result in a collapse of US soy and corn export markets and significant disruption of domestic food and feed supplies. On the other hand, this new organism may already be responsible for significant harm (see below). My colleagues and I are therefore moving our investigation forward with speed and discretion, and seek assistance from the USDA and other entities to identify the pathogen's source, prevalence, implications, and remedies. We are informing the USDA of our findings at this early stage, specifically due to your pending decision regarding approval of RR alfalfa. Naturally, if either the RR gene or Roundup itself is a promoter or co-factor of this pathogen, then such approval could be a calamity. Based on the current evidence, the only reasonable action at this time would be to delay deregulation at least until sufficient data has exonerated the RR system, if it does. For the past 40 years, I have been a scientist in the professional and military agencies that evaluate and prepare for natural and manmade biological threats, including germ warfare and disease outbreaks. Based on this experience, I believe the threat we are facing from this pathogen is unique and of a high risk status. In layman's terms, it should be treated as an emergency. A diverse set of researchers working on this problem have contributed various pieces of the puzzle, which together presents the following disturbing scenario:
Unique Physical Properties This previously unknown organism is only visible under an electron microscope (36,000X), with an approximate size range equal to a medium size virus. It is able to reproduce and appears to be a micro-fungal-like organism. If so, it would be the first such micro-fungus ever identified. There is strong evidence that this infectious agent promotes diseases of both plants and mammals, which is very rare.
Pathogen Location and Concentration It is found in high concentrations in Roundup Ready soybean meal and corn, distillers meal, fermentation feed products, pig stomach contents, and pig and cattle placentas.
Linked with Outbreaks of Plant Disease The organism is prolific in plants infected with two pervasive diseases that are driving down yields and farmer income-sudden death syndrome (SDS) in soy, and Goss' wilt in corn. The pathogen is also found in the fungal causative agent of SDS (Fusarium solani fsp glycines). Implicated in Animal Reproductive Failure Laboratory tests have confirmed the presence of this organism in a wide variety of livestock that have experienced spontaneous abortions and infertility. Preliminary results from ongoing research have also been able to reproduce abortions in a clinical setting. The pathogen may explain the escalating frequency of infertility and spontaneous abortions over the past few years in US cattle, dairy, swine, and horse operations. These include recent reports of infertility rates in dairy heifers of over 20%, and spontaneous abortions in cattle as high as 45%.  For example, 450 of 1,000 pregnant heifers fed wheatlege experienced spontaneous abortions. Over the same period, another 1,000 heifers from the same herd that were raised on hay had no abortions. High concentrations of the pathogen were confirmed on the wheatlege, which likely had been under weed management using glyphosate.
Recommendations In summary, because of the high titer of this new animal pathogen in Roundup Ready crops, and its association with plant and animal diseases that are reaching epidemic proportions, we request USDA's participation in a multi-agency investigation, and an immediate moratorium on the deregulation of RR crops until the causal/predisposing relationship with glyphosate and/or RR plants can be ruled out as a threat to crop and animal production and human health. It is urgent to examine whether the side-effects of glyphosate use may have facilitated the growth of this pathogen, or allowed it to cause greater harm to weakened plant and animal hosts. It is well-documented that glyphosate promotes soil pathogens and is already implicated with the increase of more than 40 plant diseases; it dismantles plant defenses by chelating vital nutrients; and it reduces the bioavailability of nutrients in feed, which in turn can cause animal disorders. To properly evaluate these factors, we request access to the relevant USDA data. I have studied plant pathogens for more than 50 years. We are now seeing an unprecedented trend of increasing plant and animal diseases and disorders. This pathogen may be instrumental to understanding and solving this problem. It deserves immediate attention with significant resources to avoid a general collapse of our critical agricultural infrastructure.
Sincerely,
COL (Ret.) Don M. Huber Emeritus Professor, Purdue University APS Coordinator, USDA National Plant Disease Recovery System (NPDRS) References 1. łResearcher: Glyphosate (Roundup) or Roundup Ready Crops May Cause Animal Miscarriages˛, Jill Richardson, La Vida Locavore, 18 February 2011 http://www.lavidalocavore.org/diary/4523 2. łResearcher: Glyphosate (Roundup) or Roundup Ready Crops May Cause Animal Miscarriages˛, 18 February 2011, http://farmandranchfreedom.org/gmo-miscarriages 3. Ho MW. Genetic Engineering Dream of Nightmare? The Brave New World of Bad Science and Big Business, Third World Network, Gateway Books, MacMillan, Continuum, Penang, Malaysia, Bath, UK, Dublin, Ireland, New York, USA, 1998, 1999, 2007 (reprint with extended Introduction). http://www.i-sis.org.uk/genet.php
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

łEvery conflict in the world today has its origin in the
âś–

+1
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
Add pictures here