Why?

I have a healthy crop of strawberries that are flowering but are no
producing fruit. Their are plenty of bees for pollination and w have had a good rain season. What is wrong
-- Barzene
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:41:05 +0000, Barzene

Several years ago, I ordered some giant strawberries from a magazine. I don't remember their name. I ordered enough to plant two 150ft rows. They made the largest most beautiful plants, bloomed profusely , and never set not 1 berry.
I called our county extension agent, and it was his opinion that the berries were just not adapted to this area.
Since that time I have become more knowledgeable about strawberries(but still not an expert). There are some hybrid varieties that require a polinator (another variety) they are not self fruitful.
Understand, this is just an opinion, but I think had I planted another variety along side of them, instead of pulling them up, they would have produced berries the next year.
I haven't had that problem since. I now have 5 varieties, with that problem never occurring again, I would like to know what variety you planted, and what zone you are in?
Have a nice day, The Old Timer
Old Timer! Wrote:

As to the variety, they are Quinalt. As to the zone, it is 2B. I live at an elevation of 7,000ft. and experience the four seasons. Winters can see temperature as low as +10 F. I do cover th strawberries with straw every fall. This climate zone is known a "High Desert". We do have a variety of cactus that grow up here. Thank you for your reply. Barzene..
-- Barzene
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:48:22 +0000, Barzene

Hi Barzene, Please DISREGARD what I said about self fruitful, for Quinalt are. I have two patches of them. My second choice of all berries for home use(not a good shipper) but oh! what a flavor for a large berry.
Regards, The Old Timer.
We used to live in Arkansas and I watched the "Expert Gardener" on TV every Wednesday at 5:15 PM. When ever someone ask why flowers wouldn't bloom or fruit wouldn't produce, he told us to add a super phosphate to the soil. That is one that is labeled 0 - 56- 0, or some other product that has a high middle number. Now we live in Kansas and I am told that our soil has plenty of phosphate. I would have my soil tested or talk to your extension office and find out about your soil. Add what ever they recommend.
Dwayne

Dwayne Wrote:

Thank you for your advice. I will have my soil tested and ad the necessary amendments . I will post the results of my effort and your advice after my next harvest. Thanks... Barzen
-- Barzene