Whitehouse Garden Seems To Be Upsetting Big Agribiz.....

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 1 May 2009 20:38:21 -0600, "Suzanne D."

Hippy food. LOL
"Charlie" wrote in message

And that's the main reason why our country's soil is shot now.

True. There have to be several million people serving up fast food in America every day.

I like how they slipped in the "longer lives" thing as if the cool new chemicals in food had anything to do with that. "Back before we learned how to create artificial versions of real foods, people were dying much earlier! That means that chemical-laden and genetically altered foods are obviously more healthy!"

Ahh, I see. The need to be better than everyone else is indeed a valid reason to provide crappy foods for the nation.

Wait, how is this different from our grandparents?

Besides, if everyone tended his own garden, who would flip all those burgers?

Well duh. Home grown tomatoes aren't truly tastier and more wholesome than store tomatoes--it's just the way you PREPARE them that makes the difference!

No mention of "healthier" here. And yet we are living longer these days. Hmmm.

And a non-spoiled child will be raised to appreciate the canned and frozen berries that Mother put up last summer.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
What is left of it, anyway.

I am sure that insects and rodents are extremely welcome in commercial fields.

So that it only gets on the crops themselves. Well, and into the water system. And the air. But other than that, everything is good.

Because companion cover cropping is just too durn hard.

Which is necessary because all the ladybugs and mantises were killed with the aforementioned poisons.

Woohoo! Carbon emissions!

Yeah, those idiots who provided all of their families's sustenance for hundreds of thousands of years just didn't know what they were doing. Good thing we figured it all out, or the population might have just died out.

Michelle Obama: "Hey kids, come learn how to make your own garden with no chemicals, no poisons, and a healthy co-relation between nature and life!" Monsanto: "Hey kids, this great new poison will kill your weeds so you won't have to deal with them!"
--S.

Because of earlier diagnosis and technical interventions more of us are alive but that doesn't mean that incidence of disease has dropped. Indeed, as with diabetes, the incidence has vastly increased.

Indeed, foods that are stripped of their nutrients, have a few vitamins or minerals added back, and are called "enriched". Increasing amounts of petroleum based insecticides, herbicides, and fertilizers are needed to maintain crop levels, also kill the fertility of top soil, no oil, no food. This leads to pollution of the land, water, and air, what we used to call the "commons". Moreover, these practices lead to erosion, loss of habitat, and reduced biodiversity. Returning to traditional agriculture, would mean less dependence on foreign in-puts, like oil, and more food self-sufficiency.
Our reliance on oil (for energy and food) makes us vulnerable and less safe as a nation.
--

When you add together the natural gas in the fertilizer to the fossil
fuels it takes to make the pesticides, drive the tractors, and harvest,

I agree. While I admit I like having my out-of-season produce at the store, the more I grow my own food, the more I learn to like (or at least tolerate) the foods I have saved. Maybe with some self-discipline I could learn to commit only to foods I and my neighbors grow--all year round. In the meantime, I am finding myself more and more likely to stop at whatever little produce stands I find in my area (often run by kids!) and buy anything that we don't already have on our own land. My 12-year-old son has plans to pick and sell our own excess vegetables this summer. --S.
On Sat, 2 May 2009 14:34:17 -0600, "Suzanne D."

Applause.
Good job Mom, you're "teach(ing) your children well".
Charlie
"Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you." ---- Robert Fulghum