Which Veg, Plants Have The Shortest Roots

Hi everyone,

May 15th is almost here, the date we NYers plant vegetables. I had a good first season last year but a whole bunch of things never really grew. The main problem is that I don't have as much sun as I would like. Also, my garden is in a sloped down hill, 30 ft across by 15 wide or up the grade, mabe 20 degrees.

On top of the hill there are two large trees and there were other trees that my new next door neighbor removed. Last year I never really tilled the soil but this year I used a Ryobi Weed Whacker Roto-tiller attachment and my back feels it. There were tons of roots in the soil, lots of large rocks and even a roofing shingle. I took out lots of the roots but I left the major tree roots because they were very thick (4 inch or more in diameter) and I didn't want the trees to loose stability and fall on the house!

So, my two questions are:

  1. Which plants need the least amount of space for roots?

  1. Which plants need the least amount of sun?

Is there a place online that might have this information?

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Onions and garlic are very shallow feeders. I put some garlic in a spot north of my house (mostly shade) and it turned out very well. Plant garlic at the end of August and it will be ready to harvest the next June/July.

Onions should be in now and you can put them in again in July (early) for a fall crop. I use the small plants rather than the bag of bulbs. The plants produce a nice sized onion to slice, and I don't get any thing of any size from the bulbs. At least that is what happens to me.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Another possiblity is lettuce.

Reply to
farmerdill

Romaine and spinach have shallow root systems and wil grow OK with less than a full day's worth of sun.

Reply to
TQ