Which end of seed goes into ground first?

Kinda dumb question, but with large seeds such as zucchinis, does it make a difference which end goes in the ground first? I know the plant will correct itself, but was wondering if it could be helped along by putting the 'right' end in the ground.
--
Wilson N45 W67

On 02/06/08 18:34, Wilson wrote:

The seeds are kinda oval shaped... So stick em in pointy end down.. Don't lay em flat.
Ed
Wilson wrote:

I'm a seed dropper from an upright position & get almost a perfect stand every time. There is no way that those care which end is up!!
Tom J

Seeds respond to geotropism. The roots go down and the plant goes up regardless of how you put the seeds in.
--
Susan N.

:Kinda dumb question, but with large seeds such as zucchinis, does it make a :difference which end goes in the ground first? I know the plant will correct :itself, but was wondering if it could be helped along by putting the 'right' :end in the ground.
It probably doesn't matter a whole lot but it's always seemed to me that you should shove the seeds into the ground leading by the end that the root comes out of. If you don't know which end that is, put a few seeds between wet paper towels and between a couple of saucers and in a few days you will find out!
Dan

I really hate it when my crops grow upside down.
JC wrote:

Why? I find it much easier to harvest carrors and potatoes when they grow upside down!

Yeah, IF you get to them before the rabbits.