Where the hell can I find F1 Hybrid tomato plants.

Where the hell can I find F1 Hybrid tomato plants. There'll be an axe murder in my street if I dont find em soon

Phil of Whittlesey Peterborough England

Reply to
Phil

In my part of the world.. USA Idaho, practically everything sold in garden shops are F1 hybrids, trick is trying to find NON-hybrids until recently when the heirlooms have gotten enough press and the chefs have started using them on tv and in the high end restaurants.

Personally, only things I *want* that are F1 hybrids are sweet 100 tomatoes, Big Bertha or similar BIG blocky bell pepper plants.

While you *can* physically save seed from hybrids, the plants you grow from them will usually have little resemblance to the hybrid you saved them from. Of course if you're wanting to do some amateur plant breeding it could be a start for trying to fix traits but since the parent plants are usually patented, you couldn't market what you made, but you can breed and grow 'em for yourself. ;-)

Just read the tags on the plants offered in your garden shops and they should state whether they're F1 hybrids or not.

If not, Thompson & Morgan sells lots of hybrid seed. Plus, they sell started plants in the UK.

Good luck!

Janice

Reply to
Janice