Where can I buy a mature dwarf Cherry tree in the NYC area?

Looking for a tree about 8; high that will propagate my Bing Cherry. It will be planted in a container on a terrace in a Manhattan high-rise.

thanks, larry

Reply to
Larry Racies

Hi Larry, Millers Nursery in Canadaigua, New York is selling what they call an X-tra Dwarfed Bing Cherry, which grows to about 6-7 feet high. Their phone number is 1-800-836-9630. I have never grown this particular tree, so I can't personally endorse it. I have grown other miniatures, like Apricots and Nectarines, but unfortunately they all died on me. If you can bring the tree into your apartment in the colder weather, that might make a big difference. I am in zone 5.

Sherw>

Reply to
Sherwin Dubren

Thanks very much for your suggestion, Sherwin, but what you suggest poses problems for me.

I'm told that a Bing Cherry will not propagate another Bing, shipping a B&B tree from Canadaigua, which is far from the NYC area, would be prohibitive and moving the tree into my apartment in the winter would necessitate my family moving out, so I guess I'll have to keep looking.

However, I still appreciate your efforts.

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
Larry Racies

I'm looking at the latest Miller's catalog. The trees are shipped as bareroot "whips" so the shipping cost will be in the $8-$10 dollar range for a $25 tree. They're having a half-price sale so two trees will be in the $38 range, for the most expensive varieties. The full size cherry trees they sell are 4-5' tall right now, the dwarfs are 3-4'. As you know, Canadaigua is much colder than NYC, so these trees are bred for cold, harsh conditions. With a little wind protection in winter, I don't see why they'd have to come inside.

They have a variety of cherries still available. In the dwarf category, they have the Lapins and the CompacStella. Both are subzero hardy to

-20 degrees. Both are sold as 3-4' tall trees. The description for the Lapins reads: "Compact, a true dwarf, it's a natural selection for cherry lovers with the severest of space limitations"

Your other option would be to go out to the burbs to a gardening center, Home Depot, or Lowes and see what they have. A nursery/gardening center may have some dwarf stock but they're going to be balled and heavy and very expensive. HD or Lowes _might_ have dwarf cherry but their stock isn't always the hardiest. There's always the possibility that why you buy isn't what you think it is as tags get misplaced, etc.

I think it's worth giving Miller's a call or go to their website:

BTW, I'm in the southwest CT area and have had apple trees shipped here from Millers. They also guarantee their stock for a year.

HTH,

Mary

Reply to
Mary McHugh

Can you plant a standard sour cherry tree? They are naturally dwarf (will top out about about 14' if you don't prune them at all) and begin blooming in just a couple of years. They are also hardier than sweet cherries, and more useful for cooking. I'm pretty sure a sour cherry will pollinate a Bing. You should be able to get a nice one in a 5 gallon container for a *lot* less than $100.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Thank you, Mary, for your exhaustive recap of my situation.

The first suggeation of yours that I'm going to explore is to scope out local nurseries. I don't mind paying for a larger B&B tree and for having it trucked here by a place in this area because I've had bad luck with bare root trees.

Thank you so much.,

Larry

Reply to
Larry Racies

I sure can, Bob, and I'm going out right now to look for one.

Thanks a bunch,

Larry

Reply to
Larry Racies

Before you plunk down your money, look up the variety you picked and make *sure* it can be used as a pollenizer for Bing. They might not be compatible, or they might not bloom at the same time.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Larry, I'm not sure what you mean by 'propagating' another Bing. Maybe you meant to say pollinating. The Bing cherry is self pollinating (one of about three varieties of cherry who are). Another words, it can produce cherries, all by itself. I don't know why you have had trouble with bare root trees. I have planted numerous bare root trees, and they almost always work out ok. If not, they are guaranteed by places like Millers. The comment about sour cherries is correct in that it blossoms earlier than sweet cherries, but since the Bing is self fertile, you don't need a sour for pollination. Also, if you intend to grow a sour cherry to maturity, you will need a humungous pot to hold this 14 foot tree. I may have overstated the fact of having to take your tree inside for the winter, because it seemed like the cold may have killed my trees. However, it depends on other factors like what direction does your balcony face. You may be able to build some kind of wooden wind shield around the pot, or provide protection some other way. I think you will have trouble finding a dwarf cherry with a root ball, at a nursery. Order the bare root. Don't let the roots dry out (soak them in water for a few hours), and try to plant it soon after arrival.

Sherw>

internal1.nntp.ash.giganews.com!border2.nntp.ash.giganews.com!nntp.giganews

Reply to
Sherwin Dubren

Sherwin Dubren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

...everything else snipped off for brevity...

Bing cherry trees are not self-pollinating. See

a pollinization chart for sweet cherry varieties.

Reply to
Richard