Where are my strawberries?

I have a dozen strawberry plants, eight that I planted last year and four that I planted this year. The plants all look healthy but they haven't produced a single berry. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

I'm in Massachusetts.

Reply to
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz

Any flowers?

Reply to
Kimberly

There were flowers a few weeks ago but not now.

Reply to
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz

What kind of fertilizer?

Reply to
Billy Rose

Some Miracle Grow and some 10 10 10

Reply to
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz

Could be your problem. It appears that strawberry bed are normally fertilized at the beginning of the growing year and then again at the end. Once you see flowers, you don't want to give them more nitrogen. Nitrogen encourages vegetative growth. Hopefully you can wait out the nitrogen, if that is the problem.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Sorry, let me take another short run at this. You may not want to fertilize at the end of the season because you will get the plant to produce new growth that will only be killed off by the winter.

Check

that helps.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

In western NC it takes 6 to 7 weeks from bloom to ripe strawberry. In MA it is probably more like 7 to 8 weeks. This information from my husband, the strawberry grower.

Reply to
The Cook

You said they are flowering. Do any small green/white fruit appear after the flowers?

If no I will have to rethink but I am going to guess yes. In that case something that likes strawberries is getting to them before you do.

1) birds 2) ants or some other small pest 3) neighbours' kids

Watch carefully to determine which it is and take appropriate action.

David

Reply to
hairyarms

It's not a lot of sun. BTW I found the start of one berry today.

Reply to
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz