When to pick mellons

I am growing both midget watermelon and cantaloupe this year. I was able to know when to pick the cantaloupe because they started breaking off the vine and turned golden and sweet smelling. I am wondering when the watermelon are ready to pick. Is the melon's attachment to the vine supposed to show signs of drying up when it is ripe? Thanks