When to pick mellons

I am growing both midget watermelon and cantaloupe this year. I was able to know when to pick the cantaloupe because they started breaking off the vine and turned golden and sweet smelling. I am wondering when the watermelon are ready to pick. Is the melon's attachment to the vine supposed to show signs of drying up when it is ripe? Thanks

Reply to
Ann

is ready--or so tis said

Reply to