When to harvest shallots?

Hi All,

When is it time to harvest shallots? When the tops die?

-T

Anyone?

Sorry, I've not (successfully) grown them - tried the "shallots from seed" foolishness (look, in the mirror - a fool) a few years back and had disappointing "results" - need to pick the brains of the local farm that manages to grow respectable ones - not, I think, from seed.

If the tops have died back, you might just as well pick/dig them, since they won't be doing much growing and if they do, it will aimed at next season...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Thank you!

Makes sense. Their tops are now half dead. The hold over from last year is completely dead, so I think I will dig him up first.

Not to ask too stupid a question, but dig them up with a trowel or a shovel?

Many thanks,

-T

I use a fork ... no , not the kind you eat with , a big 4 tine made of cast metal . Loosens the soil so you can sift thru it to get the bulbs out .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

T wrote: ...

how deep did you plant them? i don't think they would develop well if planted too deeply.

i usually have to dig up any stray garlic plants using a shovel in this clay or i'd be hurting my wrist/hands to do it with a trowel. in the more formal gardens i can use a hand trowel and pull it out at the same time.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

never grown them, but would treat them like the onions or garlic (harvest when the top is almost half to three quarters brown or otherwise shows signs of not growing any more).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Terry Coombs wrote: ...

i broke one of those here the first 5 minutes i was trying to dig potatoes out of the clay. we don't bother growing them any more (Ma hates the bugs and we don't eat that many of them anyways).

luckily most of the gardens i grow veggies in have improved a great deal since those early years. :)

how's the addition going?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

We have a spading fork made of top steel that we bought probably 30 years ago. Of course we used it in good soil so no danger of breaking. We use it infrequently here and that's only in the heavily amended beds along the back fence.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

We've been cooking in there for about a week now , I sure do like this new stove . The Missus likes the dishwasher ... but then she's the one that was doing them by hand in that teeny tiny camper sink . I'll be running the water/drain lines for the W/M and vent for the dryer tomorrow . Shoulda run the power today but I decided to bake instead . Two loaves of bread and a dozen cinnamon rolls this afternoon . This morning I made new legs for a short table we're using as a temporary island and did a beer run on the new trike we got for the wife . Sure is different from two wheels ! -- Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

:)

glad it has come together. :) is the interior finished already? you've been busy! :)

are the two wheels in front or back? i recall the front single tire is tricky at times. i am watching Elio Motors and hoping they will have something in production for a while and be around when i need a new small car. my current one is probably good for another 20yrs though... :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I have unfinished drywall up behind the countertop/stove/refrigerator area , the rest is just bare insulation - and will be that way until I get her a bedroom built . I expect construction on that to begin sometime in late July .

Two in back , this trike is based on a 2009 Sportster Low . It does have a lower C/G than a lot of bike-based units ... but I'm nowhere near finding it's limits , mine at this time are much lower .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

it is getting to be very hot out there now here for big/heavy projects. i get a few hours in during the morning cool and then take it easy the rest of the day puttering around.

is the new bedroom all new from the foundation up or just finishing up what has already been framed in?

g.l.! and be careful out there! Ma had some lady on a motorcycle pull out in front of her the other day (the lady didn't even look). if Ma had been going a little faster it would have been a mess. i told Ma to assume that everyone doesn't see her and to drive more carefully. lucky and good for her she didn't hit the gal.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

All new from the ground up ... the plan is for another 24x24 room opposite the kitchen/dining . That'll give us a total of 24 by 64 , for over 1500 sf for the two of us .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Hell, Snag, we raised two kids to teenage in a 1450 square foot house. Somehow, after the kids grew up and moved on, we seemed to need larger houses. We've been from 1900 to 2200 square feet, current house is 1960 and seems small. Or is that all the stuff my artist wife stashes around here. Not to mention my tool and lumber collection.

I grew up in a 1200 square foot house that seemed more than adequate for two parents and a growing boy. Plus we built it ourselves from two old WWII Navy barracks. I was nine when we started and twelve when we finally finished. Dad works swing shift so he had to sleep sometime. Big adventure for a small boy. Plus the only thing we had to buy was aluminum roofing. My first job on that one was straightening the used nails on a piece of railroad rail, then sharpen the pointy end with a file. Built it between 1949 and 1953 if I remember correctly. Most of our extended family built their own homes with family help.

Gives you a real feel of satisfaction to build the place where you live. Congratulations on another achievement.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

George Shirley wrote: ...

does that include the garage space?

we're at about 1100sq ft here, not counting the garage. it works for us as we are both compatible enough. i'm sure some others would feel it isn't enough space. could use more storage space or better access to the crawl space (where we could have a pantry and/or root cellar). the main part is hexagon shape so some spots are odd angled. the main bath isn't even used and we should convert that space into storage + a shower. eventually i hope i can do some heat harvesting from the sun and use that to give us hot water and a boost for the winter days when we have some sun...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

One of my mother's brother's had property in Colorado. Had a hot spring and a cold spring up hill. Uncle Jess, back in the twenties, piped each to his kitchen and bathroom. Free hot and cold running water. He also piped the hot spring through copper tubing in all the rooms of the house and put a fan on them. Heat during the winter plus the multiple fireplaces. We visited that house when I was about fourteen, I was fascinated by all the neat stuff he had done on his own. He dropped out of school at fourteen and went off to the Colorado gold mines, later on he was a carpenter for one of the movie studio's in California, plus he gold mined in Colorado during the Great Depression and he and his family lived in the mine. I learned a lot from him, particularly, not to drive in an arroyo when you see rain on the mountain. He showed me that when we got out of one and watched the flood go through. Great adventures with Uncle Jess.

I've never had to build my own home, have built barns, rabbitries, chicken houses, pig pens, you name it. Some were pretty good, a few just fell over.

Picked a nice mess of crowder peas this morning, shucked and in the fridge. Container is almost full and then all will be frozen and vacuum bagged for later. Had bison hamburgers last night with french fries, and crowder peas, pretty good eats. Bought the bison at the local Kroger store for kicks.

George

Reply to
George Shirley