When is too early to set out young tomatoes?

Hi, everyone--I started my indoor seedlings *very* late this year--do I need to keep them indoors until they're 8 weeks old, or can I set the younger ones out at the usual time (Victoria Day here in Toronto!) Thanks

Reply to
sumacblaze

You can put them out anytime you are ready, but they will probably grow faster inside a hot house atmosphere for 24 hours a day rather than in the garden where it gets cool at night. I dont know about tomatoes, but watermelon plants will suffer being set back a couple of weeks if put out too early and exposed to weather that is too cool.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

I/ve always held off setting mine outside until the average low temperature is 55°F (13°C) or higher. Set them out too soon and they/ll just stand there asking to be assulted by insects and disease.

Reply to
TQ

Thanks, everyone--I'll keep them in a bit longer. Now the youngest leaves are starting to wilt, but I'm hoping transplanting them into bigger pots with better potting soil will take care of that.

Reply to
sumacblaze

My experience with Tomatos is, , ,

I plant them in tubs (1/2 wine casks)in Mid April, on the EAST side of the house, and water well with good drainage. That way, the get the Morning sun, but not the hot afternnon sun. Mine are just now blossoming, but no fruit yet.

BTW, I live in the Northern High Desert (Mojave) in Calif.

Reply to
Dr.Pepper

Well, I envy you. Where I live the average low temperature during the warmest part of July is 52 degrees. I try to plant them out the first week of June even though we usually have our last snow flurry the first week of May. This year was no exception. We had snow on May 2,3 and 4. Enough to make the ground white for a while on the 3rd. A week later on the 10th it was 81 degrees and my daughter took a brief swim in the lake. Then on the 12th it was in the teens at sunrise. Crazy. Yeah, I do grow tomatoes.

Steve (in the Adirondacks)

Reply to
Steve