When Do You Dig Up Your Potatoes?

I have some nice looking potato plants. How do I know when it's time to dig up the potatoes? Just dig up some and see how they're doing? Or is there some other way to tell? Thanks.
after they bloom they will start to die back, thats the time
-- Sam Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

Sue,
You can dig "new potatoes" anytime after they bloom, usually about 8 weeks after planting. You can continue digging them at anytime during the growing season. However, after the foliage has died, you must dig any remaining potatoes. If you leave them in the ground, they may start sprouting or rot. I'm a first year gardener, but followed this guidance and had great success.