When Do I plant My Tomatoes ?

I live in an area where three zones meet on the zone map. It seems to me that instead of guessing my effective zone, planting tomatoes comes down to soil temperature and the expected minimum nighttime temperature.
Does anyone plant this way ?
--
Al Dykes
-----------

I would assume most people plant that way. Within the right time to plant for their zone, of course. I mean, I wouldn't plant tomatoes in January just because we got a freak hot spell. If the temps are right, I'd plant now, but we're still getting some frost.
You say you border three zones on the map. What is the lowest temperature you, or others normally experience in the winter? subtract 5 degrees for a safety measure, then see which zone corresponds.
Here's a hardiness zone map: http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html
Click on your area, then scroll to the bottom for temperatures.

As I said, I can't distinguish within 3 zones where I am on that map. I'd need a pixel-level editor, and I don't expect the data that produced the map is that exact to that resolution, anyway.
I assume you meant Def F. We get to single digits for at least a few days in january. Does that mean I'm in zone 6b ?
--
Al Dykes

I meant click on your state, or any state, for that matter. All the zones are listed at the bottom with relative temps.

Upper single digits or lower single digits? 6b or 7a. At least it will give you a good idea of what you can plant.