what shares space with Garlic well?

I have a small space and grow a lot there. So I some times share the same area's.
Since my garlic is already in, it will be ready to pick in June I think?
Anyone have good experience with a companion crop to Garlic?
Ross

I always interplant my garlic. Collard and mache were not very appropriate (too competitive). I had best results with lettuce and radicchio.
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:58:42 -0800, simy1 wrote:

I have seen tomatoes listed as an interplanting crop. I'm going to be trying it this summer ... otherwise I will have to drop garlic from the menu because 'tomatoes aren't optional'.
I'll let the list know how it went.
Bill from Detroit under yet another nom de plume. (Hi, Pat K.!)

????? I generally plant garlic just about anywhere I have a bug problem.
Never had a problem with compatibility as long as the soil and light requirements are similar. :-)
Creeping pennyroyal worked well in the flower beds.
K. (who, despite the post on cutter ants, is really into organic control as much as possible......)
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<
Katra wrote:
<snip>

I had a bunch of garlic planted between 2 mounds of zucinni squash. Didn't phase them steeeeeenkin' squash bugs in the least....Grrrrrr.... Nor did the marigolds closeby either!
Grandpa <jsdebooATcomcast.net> wrote:

Ah yes, beetles seem to be somewhat immune. ;-) But, it sure stopped whatever was a-chewing on my poor strawberries!
For the bulb (flower) garden, I planted creeping pennyroyal. Unfortunately, it did not winter over. :-( Now I gotta find another one.
K.
--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<
Anonymous wrote:

-- Steve

I would worry just a bit, since both tomatoes and garlic are heavy feeders; I grow it in a bed and the outside bulbs are always a bit bigger. And garlic doesn't compete very well for sunlight... still, it's worth a try. Smaller lower moisture garlic keeps better and is more pungent as a bonus.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at www.albany.net/~gwoods Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
I plant my garlic between two rows of asparagus, which are about 5 feet apart. The garlic grows in the late Fall and Spring and the asparagus grows in later Spring and Summer, so they aren't competing at the same time. I use lots of fish emulsion for fertilizer for both.
--
Compostman
Washington, DC

That, of course, means small garlic (in the case of hardneck, many heads with only two or three bulbs) because it wil stop growing as soon as it is shaded (sometimes in june). You have to use short veggies if you want both crops to happen.
simy1 wrote:

That depends on the layout of things. The way the sun hits my garden they're both in sun all day. No problems, big bulbs (yes hardneck).
I read where Roses like to have garlic grown around them. Your roses are usually permanent, and so should be your garlic. That way you harvest what you need and leave the rest to the following year. I know a man who does this with a 30 ft long row. He never has to replant and he never goes without fresh garlic.
Dwayne

about the time I have finished harvesting the garlic. Compostman Washington, DC USDA Zone 7