What's your verdict?

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Got a travel trailer? South Texas is full of folks that winter over from the colder states. Most residents call them "Snow Birds" but the Chambers of Commerce call them "Winter Texans." At any rate they bring some much needed green (money) into primarily agricultural area.
George, who used to live in South Texas

Could a person get a job down there?
If yes...doing what? What is available?

I'll pay you all the vegetables you can eat if you'll follow me around with an air conditioner. <G>
Seriously, they just had some kind of job fair up in Houston because 5000 jobs have gone begging for over a year. But, if a job was all that was keeping me here (actually it's my bank) I'd be gone in a minute.
--
J.C.

Explain ok?

Explain what, the job fair or why I'd be gone.
--
J.C.

why you'd be gone

Because it is hotter than two hells, flatter than a steamrolled pancake, dustier than any desert, treeless as any shopping center parking lot and expensive as any big city in the nation now. Other than that, it's really a great place. And, I'm a born and raised Texan but the difference is that I've been around the world a couple of times and been able to see what the other places have to offer.
--
J.C.

I see now
You live in Houston, correct?
And you feel the Rio Grande valley is even better place climate wise to live than Houston, correct?

Nope. I'm 77 miles southwest of Houston.

Nope. About the only place I think that is better than Houston climatewise is anywhere north of Houston. <G>
--
J.C.

Theoretically... using greenhousing with proper "timed" lighting. :-)
--
Peace!
Om

Thought abt that..... a green house attached to main house?
It could grow food as well as help heat the home?
Is that even possible in north Missouri? Especially the food growing part?
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

then you need to get the book by Elliot Coleman titled Four Season Harvest. One of the best books you will ever find on the subject of growing and harvesting and eating your own produce. Elliot Coleman lives in Maine, by the way with his also very famous gardening partner, Barbara Damrosche..........hope this helps. madgardener
[snip]

[snip]
I believe he did in the OP. Something about experiencing problems still...
Anyhow, there won't be any issues with using the Styrofoam cups or having them biodegrade. The "collar" will allow you to maximize the water while minimizing the effort (of control of weeds, rot, et al.). The stepped system is already in place so now you should be looking to figuring out why rot is taking place. A soil virus, maybe?
The Ranger

Could be any number of things. The "soil" is actually a mixture of 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 composted cow manure and 1/3 spanghum peat moss.
--
J.C.

That seems awful high in acid... My best guess would be the manure; might not have composted enough. I burned up some pumpkin and zuke seedlings once by using steer manure that had lost that ripe smell but wasn't ready for prime time.
1/3 vermiculite also seems just a might excessive. Do you need that much drainage?
The Ranger

Supposedly it is for absorbing and holding moisture. The bottom of the boxes are covered with that dark shading type material.
--
J.C.

More likely a soil fungus. Some pH regulation might be in order?
--
Peace!
Om

J.C. wrote:

It will definitely constrain the roots, and perhaps make them rot. If you put the water at the base of the plant so it goes into the soil, the roots will grow to be wherever they want to be to capture that water. That may be where they would have been in the cup (or beneath it), or not. Plants evolved to be smarter than you when it comes to where their roots should be, and the ones you want to grow have evolved to grow in soil, without cups.
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

???
I'm about to tear down my raised beds because they dry out too fast. My garden was more productive just planting in rows than it is with raised beds.
Best regards, Bob

Mulch...... And I filled my bases with sand.
I wasted _tons_ more water on an open garden bed. :-(
--
Peace!
Om