What's your verdict?

Page 1 of 3
I start seeds in styrofoam cups. I do exclusively square foot gardening and have several boxes going. I use the 32oz cups that I buy in bulk from Sam's Club. I put about 1 inch of potting soil in the cup.
When it comes time to plant I just cut the bottom out of the cups and plant the whole things. This leaves me the proper amount of empty cup to do the watering called for in the Square Foot Gardening book.
Well, everything that happens, wilt, browning leaves, low yield, bugs, disease etc., happens because I PLANT THE DANG CUPS, according to my wife. She, and others, say this is a definate no-no. I disagree. What do you say and why?
--
J.C.

Get a new wife?
Plants here are constantly growing through the little hole in the bottom of the black gallon pots and thriving, even when we don't want them to.

I already have, 4 times but this one's a keeper, 34 years so far.

as it "rots"? Ever see the smoke when one burns?
Keep the wife, it's cheaper tan the alternative.

Good point.
JC

Styrofoam is inert... It does not biodegrade so it's a non-issue.
That's one of the problems with it in land fills...... :-(
It's kinda like nuclear waste. It lasts thousands of lifetimes.
Personally, I use peat pellets and soak them in miracle grow.
Works for me. ;-)
Use raised beds and the water is used more efficiently.
And mulch.
--
Peace!
Om

Perhaps you missed my original post. I do use raised beds. The purpose for the cups is to regulate the amount of water as per the specifications in the book "Square Foot Gardening". My only question is, is there any reason why I should NOT plant the entire cup when moving from the greenhouse to the garden, instead of taking the plant out of the cup and planting it?
--
J.C.

My bad. ;-) The point got side-tracked.

Not that I can see... Styrofoam is inert. As far as I know, it's not going to be biodegrading and putting toxins into the soil. I could be wrong. ;-) You may want to google it.
My concern would be size. Are not the plants going to outgrow the cup? How is too small of a cup going to regulate water usage?
1 gallon plastic pots might work better maybe?
--
Peace!
Om

The cups have the bottoms cut out of them when planted out in the garden so the roots grow down into the box and outgrowing the cup is no problem. You use 32 ounce cups and only put about 2 inches of potting soil in them to start the seeds in. This leaves enough "empty" cup to pour water into when out in the garden. The SFG book calls for watering the plants individually with "cups" of water, i.e. one cup a week for X, 1 cup a day for Y, and so on. Supposedly this regulates the water to preclude under watering or over watering, which I tend to do.
--
J.C.

If you have a guide book with a tried and true method, what are you worried about???
Carry on, then post your results. I'm very curious about this. I did not garden hardly at all this year because I could not afford the water. :-(
Please share?
--
Peace!
Om

Well, the guide book does not cover what I am wanting to do. The guide book says to hollow out a saucer type affair and put the plant in the middle. And that's okay I guess but being a lazy old man, I'm trying to figure out an easier way to do this while still maintaining a bit of the integrity of the SFG system.

Check this out.
http://www.squarefootgardening.com /

Looks fascinating... :-) Once I fix up my greenhouses this fall (it's been a wasted summer), that might be something to consider.
Personally, I have my heart set on hydroponics! IMHO the ultimate in lazy gardening once you have it set up.
And it also conserves water.
--
Peace!
Om

I tried this for awhile
http://www.aquaponics.com /
--
J.C.

How well does this work above?
I want to grow JUST enough food for one person

It's very, very expensive to get started. You would be much happier with "Square Foot Gardening". You can grow enough for a family of 4 in 16 square feet of space.
--
J.C.

Yep I'm aware of square foot gardening and the book
But I live in north Missouri where we have winter as was curious if anyway to grow food garden year round?
I'm looking into ways to become self sufficient. Work less for money. And being able to grow food year round would really help!

I think you are going to have to learn to can and preserve and do all the things the oldtimers did. Put "Sustained Agriculture" in google and I think you will find a lot of good info.
--
J.C.

yeah that's what I thought as well
That's why I was wondering if possible to garden year round using hydroponics

I would think it would be. By the way, pretty country up there. I'm stuck in the flat lands of south Texas and with this heat it's like living on a parking lot. About 25 years ago we went up to Branson and almost bought a farm there for something like $150.00 an acre. Don't I wish we would have done that?
--
J.C.

I'm in Hannibal abt 5 hrs north of Branson
But I agree....wish Id bought land down there too as well!!
However....Id LOVE to be in south Texas when its winter up here!!