What's up with my basil?

It's trying to flower, and I keep picking them off.

I bought the plant over 6 weeks ago, and haven't been eating off of it much. The leaves are a lighter green that what I see in the store, and it tastes more like anise or fennel that what I remember basil to be like.

Has it just gotten a bit long it in the tooth? The new leaves are a deeper green. Not the larger ones.

Reply to
doofy

normal

maybe it's not fed properly or getting enough sun

could be the cultivar, they have different flavours, or your memory

Yes and no. While conditions are good (light, water, food, warmth) it will keep going but it will continue with that pesky habit of flowering. If there is enough growing season left strike some tip cuttings and you will have new plants that wll not flower for a while at least. If your warm season is nearly over the first frost will kill it and cool weather in general will slow it down, in that case save the leaves dried for cooking and keep the seeds for next spring.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott