what's up

that's them, same family, different genus. Mine don't seem to be that large without getting inedible seeds. They're very tasty similar to cucumber but more tart.

Reply to
Steve Peek

I was just making a rhubarb tart last night (lidless pie - much easier than lidding it and lower pastry to fruit ratio) and my mind wandered, as it does... I came to the conclusion that I definitely need more tart in my life. ;)

Reply to
~misfit~

You left the s off tarts.

Reply to
George Shirley

LOL! Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks like that. ;) I Left the 's' off in case I was.

Reply to
~misfit~

Nope, there's lots of us out there. My tart chasing ended 57 years ago but I can still remember those days.

Reply to
George Shirley

Reply to
~misfit~

~misfit~ wrote: ...

we make crumbles (fruit on the bottom topped by a mix of sugar, oats, whatever else that will bake ok) and that can also reduce the amount of sugars/fats while still giving it a bit of crust on it.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Yes, I've made many a crumble in my time. When I was a kid, back in the days before food processors I used to rub the butter into the flour for Mum. However I do like a good semi-sweet shortcrust pastry (my secret is to add lemon juice to the pastry mix, it really picks it up and adds a new dimension to it).

Reply to
~misfit~

People with an established patch will likely divide it and share.

My wife is a gardener and she's always ...'sharing' one colour or another of monarda with new clients.

...She just passed by and said that once you 'get the borage started it'll just seed, and that'll be good.'

We've planted perennial herbs that are supposed to be good in zone 5 and they've not reproduced for years... 'thought we'd never plants for harvest and then they seem to figure our climate out and we're away.

Reply to
phorbin