What's On Our Food?

What's in our food?

Scary why they do it?

Oceana new to me maybe you too.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

Excellent reports Bill.

My "Sweety" loves salomon, but for the most part has been very disappointed with it for the last few years. Now, I guess we know the reason why.

In somewhat related news is Maureen Dowd's column "Putting obesity out of business",

. . A measure of the moment is ³Food Inc.,¹¹ a documentary chronicling the costs to the land, worker, and customer of a food industry that¹s more grim factory than sylvan farm. A system that makes it cheaper to buy fast food than fresh food. A more personal measure is David Kessler¹s bestseller, ³The End of Overeating,¹¹ which is both a thinking person¹s diet book and an investigation into an industry that wants us to eat more. The former head of the FDA had crusaded against smoking, but found himself helpless before a chocolate chip cookie. So this yo-yo dieter set out to discover what exactly we¹re up against. Kessler is a scientist, not a conspiracy theorist. He takes you to an industry meeting where a food scientist on a panel called ³Simply Irresistible¹¹ offers tips on ³spiking¹¹ the food to make people keep eating. We eat more when more is on the plate. We eat more when snacks are ubiquitous, when flavors are layered on and marketed as ³eatertainment.¹¹ As one food executive admitted to Kessler, ³Everything that has made us successful as a company is the problem.¹¹ Sometimes it seems that our consumer society sets up the same conflict again and again. Sophisticated marketing campaigns hard-sell everything from sex and cigarettes to the 1,010-calorie Oreo Chocolate Sundae Shake at Burger King. And we¹re told to stay abstinent or tobacco-free or skinny by resisting them. We are even promised ³Guiltless Grill¹¹ entrees at Chili¹s that can weigh in at almost 750 calories and are only guilt-free when compared with the Texas cheese fries that tip the scales at 1,920 calories. . .

Reply to
Billy

Problem is folks that need this info will never find it.

Bill who will read Kessler in time.

Ps now looking for music

Reply to
Bill who putters

With that in mind, you may find this article interesting:

Getting ready to throw it on my stack of unread books, even though the harvest is almost upon us.

Reply to
Billy

I'm a retired chemist and have been amazed by advances in chemical detectability levels over the years. Several years ago it was difficult to detect under a part per million easily observable materials such as arsenic but today they can detect parts per trillion of many things.

Personally, I'm not afraid of a ppt of anything but there are those that gasp at the fact that something noxious is in their food. I had a Canadian official tell me once that he did not want a single molecule of any chlorinated organic compound in the water that he was drinking. It was not a time to educate him on Avagadro's number.

I'm healthy and entering my seventh decade this year and as a chemist have been exposed to some of the most toxic substances known to man including what was said to be the most potent carcinogen.

Reply to
Frank

Well, you know how unreasonably emotional Charlie can be about his grandkids being exposed to needless poisons, but anecdotal evidence Frank? I thought you were a scientist. What happened to you?

A beautiful lady, Hilda Newson, celebrates her 109th birthday. She chain-smoked until the age of 85.

makes you want to fire up a pack of coffin nails, huh, Frank? So you sayin' that all that bad rap that tobacco got was trash talk, Frank?

A case-control study has shown an elevated risk of sarcoma (a type of cancer) associated with low-level exposure (4.2 fg/m3) to dioxins from incineration plants.

's 4.2 trillionths of a gram/cubic meter of air. (.0000000000042g)

Scientists estimate that everyone alive today carries within her or his body at least 700 contaminants, most of which have not been well studied (Onstot and others).

*Onstot J, Ayling R, Stanley J. Characterization of HRGC/MS Unidentified Peaks from the Analysis of Human Adipose Tissue. Volume 1: Technical Approach. Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of Toxic Substances (560/6-87-002a), 1987.

Among these 700 contaminants are organophosphates, and organochlorates, or as I like to call them, insecticides. Then there are pthalates (endocrine disrupter)

and chemistry's poster child (or should I say cash cow) PBA.

The authors found that high bisphenol A levels were significantly associated with heart disease, diabetes, and abnormally high levels of certain liver enzymes. An editorial in the same issue notes that while this preliminary study needs to be confirmed and cannot prove causality, there is precedent for analogous effects in animal studies, which "add[s] biological plausibility to the results reported by Lang et al."[12]

can avoid some BPA by avoiding plastics bottles marked 7 or 3 inside a triangle on their bottom.

Lead and mercury are still popular pollutants.

' lower IQ scores linked to prenatal pollution

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:FL_Wv8hEpTUJ:

IT SAFE TO EAT FISH FROM SAN FRANCISCO BAY? San Francisco Bay and Delta Region: Because of elevated levels of mercury, PCBs, and other chemicals, the following interim advisory has been issued by the CA Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment. ? Adults should eat no more than two meals per month of San Francisco Bay sport fish, including sturgeon and striped bass caught in the delta. (One meal for an adult is about eight ounces). ? Adults should not eat any striped bass over 35 inches.  ? Women who are pregnant or may become pregnant, nursing mothers, and children under age six should not eat more than one meal of fish per month. In addition, they should not eat any striped bass over 27 inches or any shark over 24 inches.

These types of notifications are becoming more common around the world. You may want to give up eating canned tuna as well, unless, for some reason, you need the mercury.

Now, I can understand haw a big strong guy like you, Frank, wouldn't be afraid of little tiny things like chemicals, but how do they react with fetuses, and children? You know how, Frank, you're a chemist. They interfer with tissue development.

No one has ever done feeding trials on these pollutants, to see if they work synergistically (in a toxic kind of way), so we are just guinea pigs.

Now we have the latest in toxins, Genetically Modified Organisms. Spliceosomes (I kid you not) that mistake t-RNA from the inserted genes and make unique proteins with the possibility of an allergic response. Cabbage Mosaic Virus, that can migrate to the 98% of your DNA that doesn't seem to express itself, and can turn on long dormant viruses, or genes. Then there is the antibiotic marker on the inserted gene that can lead to antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Enjoy your retirement, Frank, but we don't need your cavalier disregard for our health.

My advice is simple, if you are going to eat, eat organic.

Reply to
Billy

It is my observation that the people working in organic groceries are the sickliest looking specimens around. Eat a T-bone once in a while you anemic, depressing zealots. Get next to a bar of soap.

Reply to
The moderator

Well, yes, that is your opinion, and your welcome to it.

I might point out though, that organic doesn't mean vegetarian. Moreover, there is a qualitative difference between grass fed, and grain finished, not that some marketing whiz isn't trying to blur the lines, as with the new use of the word "natural" to imply "organic", which it isn't necessarily. Then there is Whole Foods which tries to be organic inside the old factory system of distribution. Or are you just saying that the people working in organic groceries look thin? Where did the soap thingy come from? You're really not very good at thinking are you?

Many of us garden to have "organic" food. Our President's family just planted an "organic" garden.

"When they are not protected by pesticides, crops produce their own chemical weapons. Some of these, various flavonoids, are antioxidants which may contribute to human health. Organic pears and peaches are richer in these compounds and organic tomatoes have more vitamin C and lycopene."

- Dr. Schwarcz

Maybe, you just need a better class of organic grocery store, maybe.

Reply to
Billy

"The moderator" wrote in news:4a709bc7$0$23742$ snipped-for-privacy@news.suddenlink.net:

you are confusing organic with vegan, i suppose. there may be a slight overlap, but most vegans i know eat prepared foods that aren't necessarily organic. i don't actually know many vegans that can cook from scratch (just like i don't know many people who aren't dependent on prepared foods now-a-days). i'm neither vegan or vegetarian, yet i grow, purchase & prepare mostly organic foods, including meats. oh, and there's also soap made from organic sourced ingredients... which is a bit of a long winded way to say "your ignorance is showing!" lee

Reply to
enigma

Hmmm ....

I m going to defend the original poster, too a limit.

I have also felt the same way. Some of the unhealthiest people I have ever seen was at a health food store ( myself excluded :). There are people that have better genetics than others. There are people that seem to consume nothing but junk food and thrive and look healthy as can be.

Some people are more sensitive to certain foods than others. Wheat and gluten products causes gas and fatigue for me. I have tested negative for celiac (Endoscopy and Biopsy) and wheat allergies. However I still ovoid those food substances for their negative affects to me. The health food store has the rice and other flours that regular stores do not have.

If you are healthy from the beginning. Why enter a health food store? If your unhealthy and traditional medicine has failed you, try alternative methods. The health food stores are best places to try something different.

Unlike the original poster suggest, I am not a vegetarian. The health food store has products I have not yet learn to make myself. Like growing my own rice and corn for grinding my own flours. Someday I will give it a try.

Where wheat products bother me. Other people might have bad reactions to meat products and a vegetarian diet might be best for them physically or mentally (death of animals bother them). I raise my own chickens (taste better). Again the organic heath food store is a good place to be for those who need alternatives. The organic health food store I go to, also sells grass fed only T-bone steaks as well as skin sensitive soaps.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

From the point of logic, a qualified answer ("too a limit"), is no answer at all.

How would you know, unless you were their doctor?

Ah, appearances are subjective.

Not bad, to have a wider choice.

To stay that way, and hopefully keep your loved ones that way as well.

Well, one place, anyway.

If you're going to eat them, someone has to kill them. I'm sure that your backyard is better than an abattoir, at least I hope so.

Well, in my new roll as "Organic Man", I might suggest that you check out your Community Supported Agriculture (find at ) or check your local farmer's markets. In my opinion, we all need alternatives to "factory food" that is grown for shelf life and not nutrition. "And how much of a difference in antioxidant content is there between organically and conventionally-grown foods? According to a four year long study carried out at the University of Newcastle, organic food is some 40% richer in antioxidants."

- Dr. Joseph Schwarcz

Good eats ;O)

Particularly important in group showers ;O)

Reply to
William Rose

Logic tends to deal with "right or wrong", "zero's and ones", "yes and no". The posting does not deal with facts. Just opinions, subjective views, one can accept or reject the views, both are fine. In my book, "right and wrong" are thin lines at the ends with a vast grey middle.

No, I am not anyones physician. However, skin rashes, pale or very red faces, bad breath, some examples of external health problems. One can go one with many observable conditions that are out of the normal.

True.

True Again.

My 20 Chickens have a better life than many humans on this planet! Nice warm home, plenty of food, two acre pen to roam and access to the garden before nightfall and a much longer life than most of their kind.

A favorite show I record weekly :)

"too a limit" ... Dan :)

Reply to
Dan L.

Screw Frank and his ilk and his waving his wanker about. Anyone who believes even minute amounts of toxins are ok in the bodies of my grandchildren deserve......

Stupid bastard apparently doesn't even consider total toxic load and synergistic effects or even give a shit. FHD. He perhaps contributed to the problem that he tries to now minimize and justify?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

what they ultimately will get.

Reply to
Steve

As will we all, thus the injunctions contained in many disciplines to have a care about our actions......

Nice completion of thought, more polite than what I was thinking. ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Yep, new to me and thanks to you. Good news and reference.

In payment, a little gardening music for ya', good for digging in the dirt and figgerin' things out maybe whilst getting one's hands dirty doing the hard work of life.

Charlie

?Pain is never permanent? ~~ St. Teresa of Avila

Reply to
Charlie

Hmmm ...

What about homeopathic medicine? Do they contain minute amounts of toxins? Does it help the body get better?

Does chemotherapy for cancer patients help them? Does chemotherapy contain toxins?

Does not most fruits and vegetables contain both natural compounds that help and harm human life? Does one need take the good with the bad in order to survive?

Does food preservatives help preserve human life?

I might agree that even minute amounts of toxins are NOT ok. I just do not know or sure about this topic. Just lots of questions.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Good question that deals like cures like. That a weak dose 6x which mean S. 1 ml to 100 diluted 6 times. Then there is 30 c 1 ml diluted to 100 30 times. Then there is 1 m yada yada .

Seems small attacks against our immune system strengthens us. Cat shit in the sand box comes to mind.

Of course but do you want to eat a mercury preserved herring or a salt dried one.

Nothing wrong with questions. Albert said as soon as we say we know no progress.

Sound Advice.

Bill Back to rotting some cukes in brine

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

I was amiss. One only takes a homeopathic remedies to you see a change then stop or perhaps take the cure to a higher dilution.

Less and less the way to go but avoid coffee and mint of import.

I've studied 20 volumes still had melanoma and a quad. But my kids like Arnica for daily mishaps.

Go study.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters