what kind of vegetable would you recommend to grow in front yard?

Page 2 of 2
Mark wrote:

I grow Tumbler tomatoes, peppers and courgettes in my front garden, right by the front door, in pots. I've also got three large containers of mixed salad out there. They're actually really pretty, and with a few pots of flowers mixed among them, the look great. Squash (including courgettes) have lovely flowers, and a friend of my mother's actually trains squash around her front door. They look absolutely beautiful when they fruit, too.
Failing that, what about a herb bed or a pretty container full of them? A lot of thymes are really decorative, chives have lovely flowers, sage is pretty...to stop the mint and parsley getting out of control, I grow my herbs in a large butler sink (with some gravel in the bottom the plug hole is perfectly adequate drainage) I rescued from a skip.
-- www.gastronomydomine.com

I suppose that it depends upon how obnoxious your HOA contract is, and how desperately your neighbours are clutching their interpersonal dominance-games (and their sphincters.)
Have you reviewed your HOA contract which decrees the acceptable colour/brand of toilet paper... Uh, wait, I mean... which states the acceptable street-appearance of "your" front lawn?
Or maybe it is really THEIR lawn, since they control it?
Anyway, I suspect that strawberries, courgettes/zucchinis, and herbs might be OK.
Personally, I cannot imagine hassling a neighbour for visible vegetables.
But, in your shoes, I would look carefully at the contract. I mean, who knows? They might be control-freaks who will fine you for anything except grass. Which you will keep to a specified length, etc.
A real risk: Some dork neighbour blows all of their money on a house they can't afford, plus cigarettes, junk-food, etc. And then bitterly resents you for showing evidence of a proper diet, etc. NOT a fun prospect, especially since those types generally don't have any productive pursuits to distract them from resenting/bullying you. And maybe being on the HOA board, as a busy-body who will assert his/her authoriTAH.
A really, really BAD IDEA is to directly tell that person that you *don't* wanna be their personal fffwwwwwiiiiieeeennnnnddd.
--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com /
Mark wrote:

Andy writes:
I suggest you try lettuce. I did my first lettuce this spring, and they are beautiful.. AND, when the lettuce bolts ( starts growing staight up and flowers) they look like ornamental plants --- little green Christmas trees about 3 feet high....
I would advise against pumpkins........
Andy in Eureka, Texas

I'd add peppers (bell and hot) to the list. And if the HOA says something, you can always say 'Well, they were *supposed* to be the ornamental christmas light type peppers. I guess someone at the big box store swapped tags on me, I'll have to give them a piece of my mind, thank you"