What kind of soap can I use on Aphids?

My plum tree is infested with aphids I sprayed it really good with a soap insecticide but did not help. I far as I can tell it's aphids (small green bugs). The tree has lots of sticky leaves and some webs on the leaves. What else can I try?
Pope on a Rope.
something is attracting the aphids. you might want to put some tanglefoot around the truck to trap the ants bringing in the aphids after you blow them off the tree with the insecticide soap. webs suggest mites. Ingrid

what about putting some oil at the base of the truck? will that trap them? What is tanglefoot, something like a stick fly trap?
wrote:

soap
of
in article snipped-for-privacy@news.vaxxine.com, lbbs at snipped-for-privacy@mfergetel.com wrote on 7/4/03 7:56 AM:

I use Safer soap. It is a potassium soap. Safer and boutique garden stores charge an exorbitant price for it. I once stocked up on Safer moss killer which also is based upon potassium soap.
I have also used cheap shampoo obtained at a local 99 store. I tried to get the kind based on ammonium detergent rather than sodium detergent.
Bill
Try www.GardensAlive.com because they have something called Pyola. I like it for all sorts of pests in my container garden (I don't get very many beneficial bugs here). But remember, it will kill beneficials as well. What you need to do is buy some ladybugs and lacewings and let them loose in your tree. They will take care of the aphids for ya.
Carla

hi guys, Did you ever think about "diatamatious earth"? The Diatoms are little critters that have some wickedly sharp little shells that lacerate the bodies of the organisms that are infecting your garden. And through the little holes in there bodies (and some I guess swallow it--and cut up there guts) they loose moisture and shrivel up and die. the diatoms are often used to control weevils in stored grains and things (you can eat them along with the grain). I WOULD be careful though. they are made mainly of calcium, and if you suck them into your lungs, they might be there for a while.
I'm going to look it up on google, but if you go that way, make sure to wear a dust mask and keep it out of your lungs.
also, I seem to remember some recommendations about Murray's oil soap? Or maybe just some simple lye soap without any perfumes and coloring and crap like that?
just a couple thoughts, the coffee hasn't kicked in yet this morning. john