What is this fuzzy white thing

Help! I've seen here and there in my garden a white, furry looking insect 2-4 mm., just occasionally. Suddenly this morning I noticed my Italian bay bush had a whole bunch of them along with drops (some blobs) of a clear fluid that appeared to have a whitish scum in and around it. Sorry I was too squeamish to touch the stuff so I don't know if it was watery or viscous. The bugs are the low, flat type and their white "hairs" make them look bigger than they are when you turn them over. Sorta like a sowbug with a Don King do. They're kind of pale yellow or tan on the belly.

I tried Googling for plant parasite white fuzzy or furry, and I searched this group but I have not found anything that matches the description.

I am near SF CA. Thank you gnu

Reply to
gnu9903

try this website:

luck. mixter

Reply to
mixter

Following up to myself - I think it's a citrus mealy bug. Don't know why it's on a bay. I do have an orange tree right next to it, but it doesn't have these bugs on them....

Reply to
gnu9903

oooops. i misunderstood and thought it was cucumber mosaic virus. my apologies. it does sound like a mealy bug from your description of the white hairs.

mixter

Reply to
mixter