What is this?

Hi all,
I've recently moved into a lovely new house with a massive garden. The lady who lived here before was clearly very proud of her garden, so its up to us to try and maintain it - problem is, we're relatively new to this game!
We've armed ourselves with a few books and set about the veg patch (looking good so far) but keep finding the same plants (weeds?) growing everywhere.
Several books suggest it might be Comfrey (which by all accounts would be a result) but I wanted to make a positive ID before making some home grown plant feed.
I've attached a pic - if anyone could let me know either way I'd be very grateful!
Thanks,
Ben
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: weed.jpg | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 657| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
Gwowders

The newsgroup servers generally won't allow attachments in a text group like this (that's what gardenbanter is accessing), so post the picture on some public sharing site and put a link to it here.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

    The photo could be of comfrey or it could be of tobacco or any of a number of furry broad-leaved herbaceous plants. Oddly, alt.binaries.photos.gardens is picked up by Gardenbanter, which seems to be a low-end Googlegroups knockoff.
--
Derald

Gwowders wrote:

Yes it's comfrey. Desired by many in their garden. Even if you don't use it for herbalism or compost preparation there is no need to spend much energy pulling it as it is not a problem and you can easily get it out of a bed if you need to.
David