what happened to mah taters?

East Tennessee. I've planted potatoes two times this year. Ordinarily, they're my easiest crop. Stick 'em in the ground, mulch with leaves, spray a few times for flea and potato beetles, and that's it. This year we've had lots of rain. My taters never came up. I dig in my rows to see what happened, and I find the rotten remnants. Most of the chunks of seed potatoes never sprouted. Anybody else here in the Southeast have similar results?
Smae thing has happened to me in the past. I've started treating the sets with powdered sulfur (is a fungicide) after they have dried some after cutting them up. I always bed them up also. We've had close to 30 inches of rain here in south AL in the last three months. Only lost my onions so far..............good luck

I'm in WNC, same problem here. I believe the seed potatoes rotted in the ground. Steve Charles P wrote in message ...

Where the seed tates chitted before you planted? If they wer`nt try that next year.
Hi All, to chitt potatoes you put them in trays with the eyes facing up, and allow them to sprout. once they have sprouted they have in fact started to grow and there is less chance of them rotting in the ground. hope this helps you.
Richard M. Watkin.
contains these words:

Ok. Next year I'm gonna chitt 'em and dust them with wood ashes. This is the first time I've ever heard about chitting. Seems the potatoes just can't cope with too much moisture. It still keeps raining, beans and corn and tomatoes are doing very well, so I can't complain too much. Now that the coons seem to be gone, I'll have a chance at getting some good results for the rest of the season.

Must be a UK thing then. Certainly is the way we brits are shown to do em.