What are you growing this year?

Tomatoes - several varieties. Sweet corn - several varieties Pumpkins - bush, in with the sweet corn. Beets Green beans - bush Summer squash - zucchini (this year will also add yellow summer squash) Onions - winter storage mostly. Cabbage - winter storage mostly. Carrots - short to medium long varieties Potatoes Cucumbers - straight 8 and pickling Peppers - green Celery

Probably forgot a few vegetables, but the above is our standard (37 years of vegetable gardening). We preserve (canning, freezing) pretty heavy around here. This year will start using my new dehydrator for some things.

Also have rhubarb, asparagus, sweet cherries, apples, grapes, thyme, chives, currants.

We used to grow winter squash, but now I just use pumpkins as a squash sub. We always grow a variety within a group (at least two types of beets, two types of carrots, four or five types of tomatoes or more, etc. We live in central Wisconsin.

Barb

Reply to
CyberCafe

Yeah. We had no poppy season this year because of the early heat. On the plus side, it also killed all the tumbleweed sprouts that weren't in protected locations. So this year I've only about an acre of 'em to pull instead of 10 acres (yes, I cleared it by hand... I should have my head examined)

Oh yes, we get those too. Elms normally do pretty well in the desert, or did until we got 5 years of drought. All the mature elm trees dry-rotted inside during the drought, so are gradually dying off or keeling over. I have volunteer elms everywhere I don't want them.

I've actually seen that happen, where a chronically damp spot indoors starts growing elm seedings.

BTW does anyone have some white ash seeds they'd part with? They will grow here, but the real thing is hard to find. The nurseries only have Modesto ash which I don't especially like. (Tho I have a tiny one in a pot, that was pilfered from a parking lot.)

LOL!! Yeah, I've seen weeds do that. You don't dare let much of anything bigger than a petunia grow next to a building here tho, cuz any woody roots left by last year's dead weeds will attract ground termites so fast you wouldn't believe it. You can't leave anything wooden lay on the ground for more than a week, or it gets infested.

White ash seeds are like that in Montana :)

Evil nasty asters? And here I only had one survivor from the ones I tried to grow from seed (something kept eating them).

I've got a grape vine in a pot that was a broken chunk from the nursery, it grew big thick roots in a hurry and has just put out its first new leaf. I have no idea what kind it is. :)

(They think you're weird when you gather all the broken pieces of roses and such off the floor :)

Me too

Amazing, isn't it? Four bucks a pound for vegetables?!! I'm glad I'm mostly a meat eater. :)

~REZ~

Reply to
Rez