What are you growing this year?

Page 2 of 2
DaveH wrote:

A fun thread!
Tomatoes, a variety of hybrids and heirlooms:
German Johnson, Celebrity, Park's Whopper, Brandywine, another heirloom I can't recall (Matice?), Fourth of July, Early Girl, generic plum, San Marzano, and Sun Sugar cherry.
Eggplant:
Dusky, White Beauty, Black Beauty, Classic, and the sampler from Cook's Garden.
Peppers/Chile:
Ancho, Anaheim, Lilac, Whopper, Golden Summer, Large Hot Thai, Long Cayenne.
Herbs:
Basil, Dill, Italian Flat leaf parsley, slo-bolt Cilantro, oh and how can I forget, GARLIC
Corn:
First block is Seneca/Daybreak and the rest of the season I plant Silver King (really really good!).
Pumpkin/Gourds:
Howden -- excellent for carving... good size, wonderful shape Speckeled Swan gourd, Turk's Turban, various small varieties. I didn't get my dipper or bottle gourds going in time this year. :-(
Flowers:
Various sunflowers, zinnia, dahlia, gladiolus.
I'm sure I've forgotten some. :-)
Mary
DaveH wrote:

Tomatoes - several varieties. Sweet corn - several varieties Pumpkins - bush, in with the sweet corn. Beets Green beans - bush Summer squash - zucchini (this year will also add yellow summer squash) Onions - winter storage mostly. Cabbage - winter storage mostly. Carrots - short to medium long varieties Potatoes Cucumbers - straight 8 and pickling Peppers - green Celery
Probably forgot a few vegetables, but the above is our standard (37 years of vegetable gardening). We preserve (canning, freezing) pretty heavy around here. This year will start using my new dehydrator for some things.
Also have rhubarb, asparagus, sweet cherries, apples, grapes, thyme, chives, currants.
We used to grow winter squash, but now I just use pumpkins as a squash sub. We always grow a variety within a group (at least two types of beets, two types of carrots, four or five types of tomatoes or more, etc. We live in central Wisconsin.
Barb