What are you growing this year?

Page 1 of 2
I'm always interested to know what others are growing.
For me this year--> Tomatoes-->
German: After trying about 200 varieties, I've settled on this occasionally oxheart shaped red as the best of the lot, which I grown from saved seed. Wispy foliage, not very vigorous, moderate yields, fruit size variable; but complex, dense, sweet "classic" tomato taste. I take kosher salt to the garden, tear a fruit in half, and munch 'till I'm a sticky mess.
Reif Red: Very close to German, sometimes better. More vigorous, higher yields, beefsteak type fruits.
Pineapple: Almost sickeningly sweet bicolor. My wife's favorite. Fantastic with oil/vinegar and fresh basil on good toast. Very sturdy, disease resistant--still standing last year when most other plants were affected by wilt. Moderately high yields. Really a great tomato.
Fantastic: The best hybrid I've tried. Way superior to the usual suspects like the "Boy" and "girl" series.
San Marzano: First time growing this year.
Not growing Brandywine for this time this year. I've tried all the strains, and though BW is one of the best, I think it's a bit overrated. Can verge on being too tangy/peppery. German and Reif Red are superior, imo.
I've never tried Park's Whopper, Mortgage lifter, and some of the other classics. I think the darker tomatoes like Pruden's purple and Black Krim are mediocre. Too delicate and soft. Completely subjective, of course. -----------------------------------------------------
Other veggies--> Hale's best cantaloupe. First time for this variety. I haven't grown melons in some years. Previously grew Ambrosia which is so sweet it tastes like it's been injected with sugar.
Pumpkins, Zucchini, Basil, other herbs.
Pole and bush beans. Cascade Giant, Fortex, Blue Lake.
I might do corn this year. Kandy Korn has been the standard, but I might try Silver Queen this year.
DaveH
Tomatoes: 90 plants 39 varieties
Onions (walking, egyptian, bunching, "normal")
Jerusalem Artichokes: Clearwater, Jacks Copper Clad
Melons: Horned, Charleston, baby sweet pea Cantaloupe - Grandpa's 26er Victorian Pocket Melon
Purple Ecuadorian Peanuts
Carrots (6 varieties)
Lettuce : Summer Mix
Beets: Panozza, Chioggia, Albino, Burpees Golden, and Detroit Red
Radish: Purple Plums, Dix's, Podding from Pine Tree
Swiss Chard: 5 color sillverbeet, Bright Lights
Millet: Pearl, Finger, Foxtail
Quinoa
Yacon
Beans: Pole - Vingas Bush - Green, Royalty, French, Canadian Wonder, Green Flageolet,
Black/white soybeans
Squash: Golden Scallop, Sunburst Scallop, Woodsbush, 8 ball, yellow
straightneck, Papaya Pear, Canoe Creek Colossal
Corn: Strawberry Popcorn, Baby Corn, Stoles Evergreen, Dwarf Blue Jade, Ruby Queen, Pioneer, Polar Vee, Green Dent, Blue Dent
Cucumbers: true lemon, Cool breeze, sour gerkins, bianco Lungo
White and black sesame
Buffalo Gourds, Corsican Gourds
2 beds of strawberries (a bed is 5' by 30')
2 beds of asparagus (purple and green)
Sweet potatoes (my 3 yo saved slips from somewhere)
Pumpkins (ditto)
Oka Oxalis, Celery, various cabbage, cauliflower, and other brussicas
2 beds of fingerling potatoes (all blue, white, rosa and etc)
a very small orchard, grapes, berry canes and hops.
All to change with notice.
Thanks for asking! Mutti

Wow--an impressive batch of veggies. What do you with all those tomatoes?
I have over 50 tomato plants (cherry, plum beefsteak, etc.), eggplants, cucumber, bush and pole beans, Italian frying peppers, sweet peppers serrano chiles, summer squash, zucchini, buttercup squash, sweet potatoes, lettuce, onions, radishes, and herbs. I also had a variety of fruit trees, berries, asparagus, etc.
June
Ok, some beefsteak and Matt's wild cherry. Green beans, cukes, english, red peppers, sugar pod peas, squash.

Most of these are still in the basement waiting to be set out this weekend:
Tomatoes: Stupice (seeds saved from last year), and Super Marmande. One of the Stupice plants has normal leaves instead of potato leaves, so it must have crossed with the Better Boy that was nearby.
Peppers: Aji Limon Peru, Longhorn, Dundicutt, Thai. And one Fatalii that *just* came up from seeds I planted in March. The dundicutt and thai pepper seeds were harvested from peppers bought at ethnic markets.
Tomatillos
Beans: Cranberry (for snaps)
Tyfon (a.k.a. "Holland greens")
Cucumbers: Diva and a dwarf pickle variety I can't remember
Rattail Radish
Squash: haven't picked a variety yet. Maybe tatume.
Onions: Red Burgermaster (Should have been planted 6 weeks ago, but I'll plant them now anyway and use like scallions.)
Basil, cutting celery, and other stuff if I have room.
Best regards, Bob

Stupice is a great early tomato.

The lemongrass I bought on May 2nd rooted quickly in water and was *delighted* to be put into a pot of dirt a week ago. All 3 stalks are growing new leaves like crazy.
A gift of two "generic" tomato plants seem happy and have flowers, A California Wonder pepper has some little teeny peppers started. Must watch for sun-scald. After having 1 old packet of dill seed, and some equally old seed I'd saved fail to germinate, I invested 10 cents in a new packet, and sprinkled dill everywhere. It's all coming up. Parsely is in its 2nd year and 3 flower stems in bud will soon give me plenty of new seeds. The little rosemary appears to be becoming bushier and looks well. I was able to separate 4 stems of basil (K-Mart over-seeding in a single pot) into 3 plants. One is quite handsome and vigorous; 2 are looking a tad yellow. Ohmigod -- I forgot to water the chives! Fortunately, we've just had a series of every-other-day t'storms, so they should be OK. Oregano is flourishing. And horseradish, of course. Yes, it's in a pot. My taro/Elephant Ear has produced one perfect leaf on an 8" stem.
Two of the Kaffir Lime seeds I tried to start indoors in the dead of a freezing winter survived and have put out one tiny leaf each. I *must* saw off 3-4' of camellia so they get more light. All the Thai basil seeds I planted germinated. Am waiting for true leaves before I transplant.
So far, no sign of bugs except one missing basil leaf.
The weather has been ideal for plants, 'though very uncomfortable for humans. 15 degrees above "normal" for nearly a month now, owing to the Bermuda High which set up early this year. There was a dry (no rain; plenty of humidity) 2-wk period, but we've had some good t'storms this past week. Side effect has been power outages -- I'm getting tired of setting clocks and the phone answering msg every other morning.
snipped-for-privacy@someplace.net.net (Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message

did you put them out already? I did ten days ago, in my new full full sun garden (sunrise to one hour before sunset). I guessed the continuing wet weather would help with both temperature and moisture (it sure helped with moisture, and so far it has not gone below 48F). Also, what do you do with all those toms and veggies in general? I am already giving away lettuce to anyone who is willing to eat it, and I know I will be doing the same in august with tomatoes, and I only have 30 plants.
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (simy1) wrote:

Only 30?!? The mind boggles ;-) Our garden is confined to the upper deck. Everything is in pots so the deer and other critters can't eat it all. We have....
4 kinds of tomatoes - 7 plants total bush cucumbers bush beans two kinds of lettuce sugar snap peas lots of herbs though as usual the basil looks terrible, sigh.
Maybe someday we'll have a fence and a moat and who knows what else and will be able to plant a garden in the actual dirt ;-)
marcella

I put up an electric fence around my garden. Five strands of wire, the bottom one 6" above ground and the top one about 7'. I haven't had deer or rabbits in the garden since I put it up. However the coons crossed it for the corn but they didn't bother anything else. I hear all kinds of stories about how high deer can jump, but I guess they don't want in my garden bad enough to expend the energy. (no snide remarks ;>) )
Bob S.
simy1 said:

The extra tomatoes (I only have 16 plants total) are dried, or processed into concentrated puree (chunked and frozen after I have enough puree). I give away some of the salad tomatoes. (But one of my best friends HATES fresh tomatoes! Weird!) 8^)
The winter squash I cook, puree and freeze. (LOVE multigrain 'pumpkin' waffles!)
The onions and garlic I use (though I lose some of the onions in storage due to less than optimal conditions). We eat the leeks. (I loved leeks baked with butter.)
Sometimes I end up giving away lettuce. Oftentimes I give away cukes. Generally I pick the summer when squash really, really small which keeps it under control. Else we have (whole wheat) zucchini bread.
Gave up growing melons, as they seemed to inevitably get bacterial wilt. (The cukes are seedless, grown in a screened in box so they are safe from the beetles that carry the wilt.)

simy1 wrote:

We can never have too many tomatoes. This year I planted 12 plants (brandywine, beefsteak, roma, sweetie) and I get all the free tomatoes I want from a relative who grows tomatoes for a cannery. I can and freeze tomatoes whole, stewed, in sauces, in salsas, and in complete dishes. During the growing season, we eat them freshly picked from the vine for fresh salsas, salads, sandwiches, and sauces. There are very few days we don't eat tomatoes in one form or another. Other vegetables are eaten fresh, canned or froze. The trick is growing enough to eat off of and have enough to preserve. Lettuce is a little difficult in that it doesn't preserve well so we eat it daily when available from the garden. This year when the weather threatens frost, I'm going to transplant the lettuces into containers for the greenhouse and windowsill.

settle with store brands (sigh) Tomatoes . . .
Bonnie--well Bonnie says it's their best tomato
Supersonic--Apparently my Dad grew this once, so when he saw it he had to buy it. :)
Pink Beefsteak--until this year, I had had no idea tomatoes came in more than one color than red. This was the only different-color tomato at the store. It had to come home.
Husky Cherry Red--Cherry tomato. 'Nuff said.
Carrots
Long Orange--Nothing exciting, but my friend has horses. Horses and carrots go well together. Well. . . . At least, horses like carrots. Carrots seem to be silent on whether they like horses.
Bush beans--limas and green beans.
suger baby watermelons and suger pumpkins. Pumpkin pie, can't wait.

We haven't tried either of those yet but one of our favorite corns (that you can find in stores) has been "peaches n' creme" which has both white and yellow kernels. The name we found it under in Southren States is "Bilicious" Although online there are even more varients. :)
And I think that's it, although I'm eyeing a lot more lawn for next year. :)
On 26 May 2004 12:31:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Liashi) wrote:

good--incredibly stout and vigorous. The only yellow I've really liked. DaveH

Maters, sweet taters, yeller squash, okra, purple hull peas. Got a right good stand comin' 'long too. :>)

Weeds :)
Bermuda grass from horse manure took over the old garden and no one got around to digging it out or moving the fence and digging a new spot that would involve less exercise (we have to fence against the Starving Attack Rabbits, and the sand packs hard enough that it really has to be turned before roots can penetrate). And we had summer in February and winter ever since. So I think this year it's limited to the two tomato plants in the back garden.. thought I'd try 'em there cuz nothing else will grow there (too hot) and it's safe from rabbits.
Tho I suppose I could still start some zucchini, they grow fast enough to have a chance of producing by midsummer. (Assuming summer ever arrives??)
~REZ~
On Wed, 26 May 2004 23:58:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Rez) wrote:

Sounds like here! (I can't remember who is in Idaho,) but yeah it was warm too warm Feb, March, and part of April, then it cooled off to "normal" temps.
I'm mostly growing weeds too. Stuff in the barrels was doing pretty well, flowers came up out there and in the strawberry barrels, and now.. I'm growing ELM TREES!! There was about an inch of seeds stacked up around the place, they were getting tracked in and if someone spills water on the carpet somewhere, and light accidentally reaches them I'd not doubt if they'd start growing in here too! Wouldn't be surprised, bind weed has found its way into the house more than once where ghostly pale yellow green vines that blended in with the cabinet color so didn't notice them until they were half way up the front headed for the window in the kitchen, and in the laundry room it came in the dryer vent hole and grew around the power line along the floor to the dryer, and up the fishing pole and was headed for the string that you pull to turn the light on! Guess it knew what to do!
But, I have solid elm tree seedlings in all the half whiskey barrel planters, and they're in the walkways, anywhere there was dirt to grow in because it started raining and it's rained just enough to keep the soil damp enough for them to sprout. *sigh* I hate them sooooo! I also have evil nasty asters all through the lawn in the back. I don't know how it got there, as I actually managed to pay someone to keep everything mowed back there. Grape vines are too close to be spraying around them. Should have just reseeded lawn .. had I known it was going to rain so much.. it'd eventually choke them out! Well I can dream can't I?!
I hope to get a few tomato plants, a few buttercup squash vines since the stores don't seem to carry them much these days, and when they do, they want meat prices for them, and some peppers, zucchini, maybe some yellow crooknecks, lettuces, and whatever else I can get someone to plant, since I can't do so. Need to use all weed and water saving methods possible. Newspaper and mulch I guess.
Janice
snipped-for-privacy@removethistoreply.yahoo.com wrote:

Yeah. We had no poppy season this year because of the early heat. On the plus side, it also killed all the tumbleweed sprouts that weren't in protected locations. So this year I've only about an acre of 'em to pull instead of 10 acres (yes, I cleared it by hand... I should have my head examined)

Oh yes, we get those too. Elms normally do pretty well in the desert, or did until we got 5 years of drought. All the mature elm trees dry-rotted inside during the drought, so are gradually dying off or keeling over. I have volunteer elms everywhere I don't want them.

I've actually seen that happen, where a chronically damp spot indoors starts growing elm seedings.
BTW does anyone have some white ash seeds they'd part with? They will grow here, but the real thing is hard to find. The nurseries only have Modesto ash which I don't especially like. (Tho I have a tiny one in a pot, that was pilfered from a parking lot.)

LOL!! Yeah, I've seen weeds do that. You don't dare let much of anything bigger than a petunia grow next to a building here tho, cuz any woody roots left by last year's dead weeds will attract ground termites so fast you wouldn't believe it. You can't leave anything wooden lay on the ground for more than a week, or it gets infested.

White ash seeds are like that in Montana :)

Evil nasty asters? And here I only had one survivor from the ones I tried to grow from seed (something kept eating them).

I've got a grape vine in a pot that was a broken chunk from the nursery, it grew big thick roots in a hurry and has just put out its first new leaf. I have no idea what kind it is. :)
(They think you're weird when you gather all the broken pieces of roses and such off the floor :)

Me too <g>

Amazing, isn't it? Four bucks a pound for vegetables?!! I'm glad I'm mostly a meat eater. :)
~REZ~
DaveH wrote:

The German tomato sounds very good. I will look for seeds or plants!
I'm growing: potatoes (20), strawberries, beans (golden wax wax, royal burgundy), herbs (oregano, rosemary, thyme, sage, chives, parsley, mint), peppers (California wonder, Bell boy, hot, jalepeno, haberanero), tomatoes (beefsteak, brandywine, sweetie, roma), brussel sprouts, lettuce (bristro blend, Grand rapids), mesclun mix, corn salad, onions (spanish, green), swiss chard, beets (Detroit red), peanuts, carrots, radishes (Cherry belle, gourmet mix, zucchini, cucumbers (straight eights, burpless), peas (Lincoln homesteader), cantelope (Hale's best), broccoli, and watermelon. I may sneak in a couple extras if I find plants that strike my fancy. Most of the above were started from seed so I haven't seen what the nurserys have to offer yet. The only loss so far seems to be the newly planted rhubarb.